question

Paul A. Whitelock avatar image
Paul A. Whitelock asked

Value Sets for Slots

It seems that Echo is not 100% reliable in matching sample utterances with literals unless all possible values are defined. This can become cumbersome and tedious if there are multiple utterances that use the same literal. For example if a slot literal has 20 possible values, then you probably should create 20 sample utterances for each utterance that uses the same slot literal. It might be easier if it was possible to define a value set and use that in the sample utterance. For example: { "slot": "Color", "values": [ "Red", "Blue", "Green", "Cyan", "Magenta", Black" ] } The user specified sample utterances might be: GetColor I would like to buy a {Color} ball WidgetColor How much is the {Color} widget These would automatically expand behind the scenes to multiple sample utterances: GetColor I would like to buy a {Red|Color} ball GetColor I would like to buy a {Green|Color} ball GetColor I would like to buy a {Blue|Color} ball [ ... etc ... ] WidgetColor How much is the (Red|Color} widget WidgetColor How much is the (Green|Color} widget WidgetColor How much is the (Blue|Color} widget [ ... etc ... ] Just an idea ...
alexa skills kit
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Nick Gardner avatar image
Nick Gardner answered
Hi, Thanks for the feedback, I'll pass it onto the appropriate team. At this time, there really isn't a limit with the sample utterances, and there have been several examples of users successfully using thousands of auto-generated utterances to solve that exact issue. Thanks, Nick
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Paul A. Whitelock answered
Thanks for the reply. I'm working on a utility program to generate sample utterances per your suggestion but just to confirm, there's no limit on sample utterances? My code right now generates about 20,000 samples and I imagine that the final count could be 100,000 or eventually several hundred thousand. Echo can handle that many sample utterances without a problem?
10 |5000

Paul A. Whitelock answered
So, I just tried to add the generated sample utterances and I got an error message: "The maximum length of 200000 characters has been exceeded. Please reduce by 2175655 characters." So it appears that the number of sample utterances is really not unlimited, but rather is limited to 200,000 characters, which puts me back to the original problem.
10 |5000

The Stig avatar image
The Stig answered
Paul, Do you know if the utterance limit has been updated since you posted this?
10 |5000

Ross@Amazon avatar image
Ross@Amazon answered
It is not necessary to include every possible combination for sample utterances. Mixing various phrases with different slot variables should provide sufficient coverage for all user responses.
10 |5000