question

R. Labanca avatar image
R. Labanca asked

text to speech test harness

A utility to type in and hear speech rendered text will be useful. I know my output is going to have a lot of variations and things to deal with, so feeding it directly would help a lot. Even if not the echo but some stream from the web.
alexa skills kit
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Ross@Amazon avatar image
Ross@Amazon answered
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your participation and interest in Amazon's Alexa Appkit developer program. We are always looking for new ways to improve the Echo and the Alexa Skills Kit. Your suggestions have been relayed to the development team, and as I am sure you can appreciate we are not able to comment on any speculative information. In the meantime you could try using https://www.ivona.com. While it may not be the same voice that is rendered on the Echo, it will hopefully still provide some value for testing how text sounds when rendered with text-to-speech that is streamed from the web.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Leibo avatar image
Leibo answered
I too was looking for something like this. I made up a sort of easy workaround. Just create a new skill with a lambda where all it does is read a bunch of text on initialization. You can easily edit the lambda text and launch the skill to hear Alexa speak it aloud.
10 |5000

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
Just discovered, for individual worlds, you can ask the Echo to spell them. Me: Alexa, spell biological Alexa: [i]Biological[/i] is spelled B I L O L O G I C A L For unusual and unexpected words I get a lot of "I didn't understand what you asked" though.
10 |5000