question

D. Bliss avatar image
D. Bliss asked

Configurable timeout

I am working on an idea that requires the user to think before replying to a prompt/reprompt from Alexa. Occasionally, when using my app the Echo will reprompt the user and then timeout before the user has time to respond responds. When this happens, the user has to relaunch the application. It would be nice to be able to configure the time that the Echo will wait for a response after speaking the reprompt message.
alexa skills kit
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
Damn straight. I finally got to try my UPS tracking app on actual hardware today. I can barely blurt out a 18 digit UPS code before it times out. So what's worse is the timeout ticks even if you are in the middle of saying something. >_<
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

The Stig avatar image
The Stig answered
The ideal solution would be for Amazon to add timeout/session length to the API. Allowing developers to set the timeout/session duration for each Skill. It really wouldn't even be that hard to implement in the API, or at least I don't [i]think[/i] it'd be that hard.
10 |5000

Michael F. Flynn avatar image
Michael F. Flynn answered
+1. I've been making Alexa ramble on for a bit to give the user time to think but thats hardly ideal.
10 |5000

memo@amazon avatar image
memo@amazon answered
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your participation and interest in Amazon's Alexa Skills Kit developer program. We are always looking for new ways to improve the Echo and the Alexa Skills Kit. Your suggestions will be relayed to the development team, and as I am sure you can appreciate we are not able to comment on any speculative information.
10 |5000