question

J. Steven avatar image
J. Steven asked

Disable built-in music functionality?

I'm developing an Alexa app that controls with my home Sonos system. It's going well, and is capable of handling much functions of my Sonos system. However, the biggest issue I have is Alexa misinterpreting commands for my Sonos and instead using it's internal music capabilities, which I don't want. For example, commands like "Alexa, tell Sonos to play jazz" works correct about 75% of the time, however, about 25% of the time it starts playing Jazz on the Echo through Amazon prime music because Alexa misinterprets "sonos" for some other word or phrase. My question/feature request is to allow users (or developers) to disable the built-in music functions so 3rd party apps can use music-related phrases and words without issue. Any chance of this?
alexa skills kit
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

The Stig avatar image
The Stig answered
Seems like Echo isn't realizing that "Sonos" is the invocation name of your Alexa Skill. Maybe try changing it to "House Audio." It's possible that it's just the word "sonos" that's throwing Echo for a loop.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
All the more reason to be able to educate the Alexa service with specific vocabulary pronunciations. (See my feature request for recognition of the international phonetic alphabet!) I had the same problem not being able to guess how Alexa would recognize "José Fabuloso". Ended up calling the app "Forty Worlds".
10 |5000

tobyjohnm avatar image
tobyjohnm answered
I'd like this, too, and possibly in expanded form. I've seen Alexa hear my two trigger words as the first word and still send the request to music, home automation, or some other built-in feature. I temporarily cleared all my home automation devices and it still tried to send things there. Of course, no devices existed so it failed horribly. -tm
10 |5000

memo@amazon avatar image
memo@amazon answered
Thanks for all the feedback! We can't speculate on future releases, but be assured that we've made the Product team aware of the feature request.
10 |5000