question

Matt Kruse avatar image
Matt Kruse asked

Configure Skills from the Echo App

I hope this feature is already in the works, but if not, here it is - I hope that once we add Skills via the Echo App, there will be an option to let users configure settings. Our app's schema could define variables and data types, like [code]config: { "ZIP": { "label":"Zip Code", "type":"NUMBER" } }[/code] Then in the app, it would present the user with a list of configuration options. After being set, these values would be sent with every request to the app, similar to the slots but in a different place in the JSON. This would provide consistency to users, and avoid the need for having each app gather and persist settings on its own web site. I know Amazon doesn't comment on upcoming features, but I sure hope this comes soon. What is ANNOYING about not knowing what is on their roadmap is that I may invest a significant amount of time allowing users to enter app settings via my web site, only to have all that effort wasted once they introduce this feature. I sure wish we have *some* idea about what was coming so we could prioritize our efforts appropriately.
alexa skills kit
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
Suggestion: the values could come down as session attributes. An embellishment would be that you could submit a card that instead of a SimpleCard was, say, a HTML card. And that any forms on that card would be submitted to your endpoint via a new API. In reality, I think they're just going to say "roll your own". That makes the most sense. If you can deploy a web service, you know how to do all of what you need anyway. If you are any bigger than an experimental entrepreneur, then it's barely going to be a blip on your development budget. But no harm asking.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Matt Kruse avatar image
Matt Kruse answered
I don't think implementation is the hurdle. I just don't think that users are going to go to a custom web site to enter information. It's kind of a bother, and people will be cautious about whether it's genuine. Entering the info directly into the Echo app would help with convenience and confidence.
10 |5000

The Stig avatar image
The Stig answered
Agreed, and like jj was saying, it wouldn't be too hard for them to implement.
10 |5000

Ross@Amazon avatar image
Ross@Amazon answered
The SDK team has noted your request and added it to their backlog for future releases. We appreciate your participation and interest in Amazon's Alexa Skills Kit developer program. Thank you for your feedback.
10 |5000