question

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta asked

Audio Emoji

Years ago I was writing a text-to-speech plugin for my company's chat client. I was stuck with the problem of dealing with emoticons. At first I ignored them, but later I decided that it would be a better experience to tie them to a sound. So :-) became "wheeee!" and :-( became "awwww!" and stuff like that. Just like you can normally associate emoticons with graphics, I let the user associate them with sounds. Fast forward to Alexa... I've asked elsewhere for the ability to stream audio. That's probably a big undertaking. A lesser undertaking would be to have a selection of "audio emoji" available. Much like many bulletin boards and chat web sites would let you pick from a standard palette of emoji, Alexa could make a collection of pre-canned sounds available. These could be identified either through special markup (e.g. emoji::applause, emoji::explosion) or by good, old, emoticons embedded in the text. Here are some ideas for sounds. If you like the idea, reply to the thread and add in your own sounds! * applause :-) * boo :-( * laughter :-D * explosion * laser-zap * toilet-flush * door-open * door-slam * computer-beep * doorbell * rising-shepard-tone * falling-shepard-tone
alexa skills kit
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

April L. Hamilton avatar image
April L. Hamilton answered
A library of sound effects would be very useful.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

The Stig avatar image
The Stig answered
agreed! Sound requests: - transporter materialization sound from Star Trek - TARDIS materialization sound from Doctor Who
10 |5000

zzarbi avatar image
zzarbi answered
Agree a library of sounds whould be nice! When I asked for Alexa to turn on/off stuff she does it and says OK (when it works) I would rather hear a sounds instead of the word OK
10 |5000

Jamie Grossman avatar image
Jamie Grossman answered
Hey guys, We have passed on your feature request to the relevant team. Thanks! Jamie
10 |5000

Frank Giuffrida avatar image
Frank Giuffrida answered
Rather than rely on you to come up with every sound effect we might want, how about giving us the ability to play a sound effect file contained in a storage container. That way we can upload our own sounds as part of our application.
10 |5000

taciturnip avatar image
taciturnip answered
Thumbs Up. I think this is a swell idea.
10 |5000