question

Noel Portugal avatar image
Noel Portugal asked

Start session from external SDK/REST call

I was hoping to have the ability to initiate a session from a SDK/REST call. I want to the Echo to start "talking" to the user if the user enters the room. I would use some other IoT presence device to initiate the call. For example, I place an iBeacon in the room, I can use my mobile device with an app to determine when I enter the room. Depending on the time I can get information from other systems read to me (email/calendar, etc). Also I could use a SmartThings PIR sensor for the same purpose. Any plans on this?
alexa skills kit
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

rgr@amazon avatar image
rgr@amazon answered
Hi Noel, The Echo SDK doesn’t provide a way for developers to reach out to an Echo user without the user first initiating the voice interaction. We take feedback very seriously and use it to help drive the future roadmap. Thank you very much for the feedback
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

raquo avatar image
raquo answered
What about longer sessions where something should happen at the end? Say I wanted to create a timer app that mimics the built-in timer. Can I launch a session, get a time value and then wait x minutes before sending a response from my server?
10 |5000

aholmes0 avatar image
aholmes0 answered
Just throwing in my two cents. I'd like this kind of functionality as well, either through issue requests to the Echo, having the Echo poll an external service for events, a persistent connection to an external service, or being able to connect to LAN devices/vice versa.
10 |5000

rgr@amazon avatar image
rgr@amazon answered
All, Thank you for being early adopter of the Echo SDK. We value your feedback, this are very interesting use-case and this is something that we are thinking about, We are working very hard to make improvements to the Echo SDK. Please be patient with us as we build, stay tuned!
10 |5000

CMom avatar image
CMom answered
I would like this feature as well. Perhaps as an enhancement to the echo timer system so you can have the echo reach out to your skill at a later point in time. Similar to "Alexa, ask service x to read me the headlines from cnn tomorrow at 7 am" or "Alexa, ask service x to play the top 5 most requested songs every evening at 9 pm"
10 |5000

Alok Sinha avatar image
Alok Sinha answered
+1
10 |5000

Patsch avatar image
Patsch answered
+1 Could use Alexa like an intelligent radio, mostly silent, but trigger it when things happen that interest me - more push than pull!
10 |5000