question

Scott avatar image
Scott asked

Order a Pizza

My kids and I love our Echo (Alexa). One feature that would make me really happy would be the ability to order a Pizza from her. If one of the big chains were available (e.g Pizza Hut/Papa Johns) I'd use that all the time. I imagine putting in my account info in the iPad app, setting a favorite order or two, and being able to just ask Alexa to order it for me - and BOOM pizza at the door! *pretty please* ... Any developers able to tackle this one?
alexa skills kit
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
There's a demo of a pizza-ordering app somewhere out there. I asked them how it was implemented, and they said it was hard-wired to their own account. So that's not going to be coming out for wide distribution. Doing it for a chain store, and not being an agent of that chain store, would be problematic. If any pizza chain has an API and suitable license terms, then it could be done. Did a quick search. Domino's may have an API. I've only found 3rd party links, nothing from them. Find me an API and a license, and I'll think about it. :-)
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
I did some follow up. There is a Domino Pizza API, but it's not public. I contacted them and they do not license the API out for 3rd party use. I followed up with a request for the process to submit a proposal to do a properly licensed application, but I'm not holding out much hope. My guess is they use a 3rd party developer for their application needs and would work through them. But we'll see.
10 |5000

James L Guinn avatar image
James L Guinn answered
See: Dominos Pizza ording App Gary Anderson Under the Showcase forum. http://forums.developer.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=5441&tstart=0
10 |5000

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
Yes, as as per reply #2 in this thread, it was hard coded to a single person's account. Not suitable for wide use. Probably used the unsupported, unlicensed API. Great for a demo. But not something you want to put serious work into. I've got the address of someone to contact now in Domino's. But it's tricky. They made it clear that they will throw out unread any actual unsolicited proposal you send them. (Not unusual.) So we have to "introduce" our company to them. Gonna let my MBA wife handle that one. :-)
10 |5000

Troy Newton avatar image
Troy Newton answered
It may be easier to just have Alexa send an SMS message to place your order. You can setup your favorite on their site. I know Papa Johns and some others allow you to do this too. Based on the article below, someone must allow you to order by sending a tweet. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/text-is-next-in-dominos-pizza-ordering-platforms-300098735.html
10 |5000

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
Interesting. I'll pass it on to business development. Without modification to Dominos service, this would have to work by pairing the mobile device whose number you've registered with Dominos with an Alexa skill. When the skill is invoked, it sends a push notification to the Mobile app, and the mobile app sends a text to Dominos. Rather convoluted. And no chance for confirmation of *what* you are ordering. But I guess there isn't with the original text anyway. I've done some more research into this sort of thing in general. Apparently wings are ordered more often than pizza. But I'm not aware of any nationwide chain selling wings. Anyone else got any ideas of the sort of thing you would want to make a repeat, canned order of?
10 |5000

Julian Hartline avatar image
Julian Hartline answered
I've got a functional, though not very polished skill that I started working on soon after the ASK came out.. Here's a video of it functioning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2cisbSCGvM It uses unsupported dominos API via the open source node js library: https://github.com/RIAEvangelist/node-dominos-pizza-api As mentioned before, without co-operation from Dominos, it's not possible to use the echo authentication features.. I'm planning on putting it up on github with instructions for installing it using your own personal AWS lambda account, but It'll probably never make it to the skill store.
10 |5000

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
The API is worse than unsupported, they actively discourage its use. It's an internal API that people have hacked into. We talked to Domino's and they, not only won't discuss supporting it, but they do not even allow you to submit development ideas to them. You have to, very tangentially, suggest something to their marketing department who, in this case, declined to get back in contact with us. So, yeah, if they ever build a devops API around Alexa skill submission, this could be another thing an "app vending machine" could do for individual use, but it's never going to be an official skill, unfortunately.
10 |5000