question

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta asked

Reset reviews after major skill upgrade

I just checked back through reviews of my Knock-Knock joke skill. 90% of them were complaining that the skill always says "Goodbye". This was because, unbeknownst to me, Alexa change something in their recognition and the "CANCEL intent was getting invoked for almost every user utterance. So I fixed that and released a new version. But 90% of the 33 reviews are still 1-star complaints about it saying "Goodbye". So, it would be nice if the reviews were either flushed automatically when you roll over the major version #, or if they gave you the option for each re-certification to wipe all existing reviews.
alexa skills kit
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Galactoise avatar image
Galactoise answered
A third option would be the thing I've been harping on - they tell us when they're going to be changing things and give their dev community the tools and opportunity to test. You know, standard practice for a shared platform... Sorry to hear about the reviews, though - that's terrible.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
>they tell us when they're going to be changing things I would think they are using a continuous delivery process. So they are probably upgrading it all the time. I know someone who works at eBay where they do that and they release three times a week. >Sorry to hear about the reviews, though - that's terrible. Well, the thing is the reviews were not undeserved. The skill was behaving badly. I just didn't know it because I wasn't tracking reviews, I was tracking metrics. It always was, and is, the top of the Unique Customers Count chart. And only recently has been eclipsed by Starlanes on the Total Utterances Count. So I figured it was fine. (Why all those people were using it when it was so badly broken... I have no idea!) There was a problem. There were accurately bad reviews about the problem. Fair enough. I fixed the problem. But I still have to live with the bad reviews that are no longer accurate. That's not good business on Amazon's part. There is no incentive to improve upon skills once released with that setup. I'd be better off de-listing it, then re-listing it. (Which would also send me to the top of the "new skills chart".) Which is just dumb.
10 |5000

Tristan avatar image
Tristan answered
This would be great! Apple's App Store promotes reviews of the current version, while also letting users see reviews of other versions.
10 |5000