question

mikeybs avatar image
mikeybs asked

have echo announce when it is interacting with someone

I would like to know when a user begins and ends interacting with the echo for smart home applications. I would like the echo to broadcast some sort of message on my network that I could listen for that announces "alexa interaction started" when the echo hears the Alexa keyword. And then another announcement at the end for "alexa interaction ended".

alexa skills kit
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Levon@Amazon avatar image
Levon@Amazon answered
Hi mikeybs, Thanks for posting! At the moment, such a feature is not supported and there are no plans to implement it. Could you please describe in more details the benefits and value of knowing when interaction started and ended? Thanks.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

cdburns123 avatar image
cdburns123 answered
Not sure if this is what they are asking for, but I also find it odd there there is no acknowledgement instead of just the small noise or blue ring light up. "Alexa"...how may I help you? or "Alexa"...yes?... Something that is more inline with a human response. Although, some may not want it, it would be a nice setting that could become part of our profile. Also on the back-end if no one gives a response. ..Goodbye
10 |5000

mikeybs avatar image
mikeybs answered
I would want to use it in smart home applications. When an Alexa interaction begins I would like to mute any other active audio devices (music/tv) in order to facilitate the Alexa interaction.
10 |5000

cdburns123 avatar image
cdburns123 answered
I'm sure you could do that within your own application and skill. Since many have programmed their TV and volume controls, etc with a skill, you could do the same.
10 |5000

mikeybs avatar image
mikeybs answered
it's definitely a poor substitute. I need my audio devices to mute as soon as the echo hears "Alexa". Otherwise the echo will have a difficult time hearing what the user says after "Alexa". When the echo is playing music itself and it hears a user say "Alexa" it turns the music down so the interaction can proceed without unnecessary noise. That is extremely valuable behavior. I want my other audio devices to do the same thing.... Message was edited by: mikeybs
10 |5000