question

Galactoise avatar image
Galactoise asked

About those weekly developer office hours

So, David Isbitski blogged a couple days ago talking about the office hours: https://developer.amazon.com/public/community/post/Tx3NJ44CRNDHE00/Announcing-Weekly-Alexa-Developer-Office-Hours# This is great, I'm glad that they're doing this, but one sentence caught my eye: [i]"During these office hours, you will be able to get answers to any technical questions you have, discuss your skill use case, learn voice design best practices and see live code demos to help you troubleshoot."[/i] My question for the DAs, then, is whether I'm to interpret this as meaning this is NOT the appropriate time to talk about general (non-technical) issues we have with the system? Something like the problem with skill review astroturfing, or the ineffectiveness of the security model, or the need for better user metadata are all inappropriate topics to bring up during one of these?
alexa skills kit
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
I've signed up for the second one on certification. But I want to hear how the first one goes. I'm not hopeful. Given how carefully worded David's post was in general, the weasel words, and how the real problems were papered over with a very thin layer of marketing speak... it doesn't seem likely that they will acknowledge actual real issues in an open forum. I'm just aiming to bring one, specific, egregious issue to the table. (Since otherwise I could talk for hours!) In this case, why they determine my simple card game is "not suitable for all ages", and requires a "disclaimer", yet the exact same card game already released does not. And why the certification team did not respond to specific questions asked about this in the testing notes. And why the certification team did not respond to specific questions about this submitted through the contact button that Dave told us to use. My expectation is that he will immediately "take that offline" and promise to follow up in a non-public forum.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Galactoise avatar image
Galactoise answered
For anyone interested I asked David Isbitski to give a bit more info: [i]"Can you please clarify in a bit more detail what are appropriate topics for these office hours?"[/i] and then I linked to this thread. Here was David's response: [i] "Hey Eric! I’m getting teams avail for your direct questions. So yes, any issues on cert questions would be perfect next week." "Tomorrow is just me answering questions for the current ASK developer preview. Very similar to weekly webinar Q&A." "let me know if u have any topics in mind too and I’ll try and grab those teams for an office hours chat!" [/i] I'm not sure he entirely understood my question, because I didn't say anything about cert, but my takeaway is that next week's session is the best time to ask the "harder" questions.
10 |5000

Nick Gardner avatar image
Nick Gardner answered
I know you've made a thread for your experiences with the first session, but I'd just like to jump in to clarify here that I've talked to David and confirmed that you should feel free to ask whatever questions you'd like. If we don't have anyone available to answer it or don't have the answer on hand we'll get back to you or you can always ask it again the next session. Thanks, Nick
10 |5000