question

James Chivers avatar image
James Chivers asked

Demo - Learn Japanese

I understand that non-English language support is coming, but until then, I've been experimenting this weekend with getting Alexa to both pronounce and understand Japanese phrases. It's been quite a challenge - especially on the understanding of what was spoken, but with a little hackery, I've got the basics working and wanted to share. https://jchivers.wistia.com/medias/47nbym1ni8 If I can help any of you out with non-English language processing stuff, hit me up - happy to help try to explain what I've done :) Message was edited by: James Chivers
alexa skills kitshowcase
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Gary Anderson avatar image
Gary Anderson answered
This is a really nice demo. I have shown it to my students and what is really interesting is how you have gotten it to pronounce foreign language words without yet having TTS in that language as well as the multiple paths and options you have found to work. Thanks for sharing, --Gary Gary Anderson Math/Software Development Seattle Academy
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Ross@Amazon avatar image
Ross@Amazon answered
Very interesting James. Thanks for your contribution to the Alexa AppKit developer community.
10 |5000

James Chivers avatar image
James Chivers answered
Thanks Gary and Ross for your kind words; most appreciated! I'm currently working on adding numbers, directions, travel, food and time/date phrases into the app - it's a little slow going but I'm hoping to get it submitted in the next week; I'm sure Amazon folk who test app submissions are going to hate me :)
10 |5000