question

James Chivers avatar image
James Chivers asked

hello + concept video

Thought I'd say 'hello' and share a concept video of which I'm now working on implementing following access to the Echo dev platform: http://blog.avisohq.com/aviso-amazon-echo/ Looking forward to engaging with the community here as we build the first wave of Echo applications! :) Cheers, James
alexa skills kitshowcase
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

James Chivers answered
btw - I'm building my Echo app in Python on Google App Engine. Early days yet, but if anyone has questions on this platform please feel free to reach out! I'm getting SSL handshake errors atm, so testing certs on alternative serving platforms (e.g. Nginx on a VPS), but I'm hopeful App Engine will work out :) I'll try to build some generic Python libraries and will set up a GitHub to share over the coming weeks. Anyone else on App Engine, or Python?
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Nick Gardner avatar image
Nick Gardner answered
I originally had some issues, but I eventually regenerated my SSL cert and figured out the issue was that I'd put the wrong URL in the SSL cert. We've also done some work on python and have some working examples, but nothing ready to show here. Let us know any other issues or errors you're running into. Thanks, Nick
10 |5000

James Chivers answered
Thanks Nick. I've been testing a variety of certs with App Engine and Nginx and have concluded that running an Echo app on App Engine is not possible (getting SSL handshake errors). I've tried both regular certs and self-signed, and bundling both the intermediate+server and root+intermediate+server together without any luck. I've ensured that (for the non-self-signed certs) the root/intermediate certs are in the Mozilla CA store list. Presenting a cert via Nginx will result in Echo successfully completing the SSL handshake and then 404'ing on the endpoint (I've not built one yet!). On App Engine, with the same certs, it Echo always reports SSL handshake errors, so I'm at a loss as what to do next.
10 |5000

Greg Crawford avatar image
Greg Crawford answered
"....Anyone else on App Engine, or Python?..." I am not using AppEngine, but I am using Python (Flask) for my Echo app API.
10 |5000

Amazon Customer avatar image
Amazon Customer answered
Hi James, I'm using python. One of my projects uses python on the raspberry pi, which acts as a gateway to my home network. So that I can control my fire tv, which should have been out-of-the-box functionality on Alexa! Amazon needs to release a IoT gateway API that runs locally on Echo to completely dominate their home automation position. And we know it's there with the Hue support release. But then I wouldn't be surprised if Lab126 was working on an Amazon brand of IoT devices. It must be hard to be both a hardware and software company. But I'm rambling now! :) Owen
10 |5000

James Chivers answered
Hi Owen, you're probably the first developer building on a Pi :) I'm looking forward to seeing how the Echo and Alexa evolve as they open up new features and do more around the IoT space - let's hope we don't have to wait much longer!
10 |5000