question

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta asked

Knock, knock!

So I wrote this before I realized that you can already ask Echo for a knock-knock joke. :-( Anyway, mine is a little more interactive than the built-in one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twdCo7djnns Lessons learned: * Used an intent that totally ignores what the user says. Effective as a pause, and give the impression of interactivity. * Responded to the session-ended event for the first time. Interactions are so short that I want to clear state after it drops. * The Echo's pronunciation is just off enough that it's hard to get the puns in some cases. * Try to do what I want with the default Echo apps first before I write any code! Code up on github: https://github.com/jjaquinta/EchoProofOfConcepts
alexa skills kitshowcase
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

James Chivers avatar image
James Chivers answered
Nice job, and I prefer your skill to Echo's default knock, knock functionality, even if your jokes aren't as good :P
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
:-P Actually, I think my jokes are better. It's just Alexa's [i]delivery[/i] is better. If you notice, when [i]she[/i] asks a knock-knock joke, [i]she[/i] can insert a pause. How many times have we asked for that? Well, OS/2 was better at the technical level than Windows, but Windows had better usability. And we all know who won that one...
10 |5000

James Chivers avatar image
James Chivers answered
OS/2 Warp, BeOS, NeXTSTEP; I seemed to prefer all the losers :) Are you taking requests?... A: knock, knock U: who's there? A: who U: who, who? A: that's right, an echo
10 |5000