question

Matt Kruse avatar image
Matt Kruse asked

Testers Needed for EchoTTT.com - Connect Echo to IFTTT!

Before submitting for certification, I'd like to test out my Skill with a few developers: http://EchoTTT.com This is a general-purpose skill that lets anyone connect their Echo to IFTTT and trigger arbitrary recipes. You can tell it to trigger any event, and as long as you setup a recipe to handle that event, it will get executed. Since this skill is not published, you will need to set it up as your own app in your Developer Console. For testing, I have disabled validation against my own applicationId. Once certified, I will reinstate the check. [b]Note:[/b] I know the web site is ugly right now. I have a designer working on that now. It will get better. :) [u][b]How to Setup EchoTTT in your Developer Console[/b][/u] Name: EchoTTT - Connect Echo to IFTTT.com Invocation Name: waldo Version: 1.0 Endpoint: Lambda: arn:aws:lambda:us-east-1:664201294062:function:EchoTTT Schema: See http://echottt.com/alexa/app?schema Utterances: See http://echottt.com/alexa/app?utterances I welcome ANY feedback, from functionality to suggestions on the vocal interaction to web site design. Thanks!!!
alexa skills kitshowcase
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

The Stig avatar image
The Stig answered
setting it up now, won't be able to test till tomorrow but I'll report back after I do. edit: if you need an image, here's one I mocked up for /r/amazonecho https://b.thumbs.redditmedia.com/2zgNw3RF21xMzBeFsMhZcOlpDl_nmAUF2YlpYMusJGk.png
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Steve A avatar image
Steve A answered
This is a great idea! I tried the set up. Here's how far I got Launch Waldo Get code Go to ECHOTTT Link account with code and maker secret create a recipe with Maker Channel: Trigger name: set temperature, Action: Value1 request: "Ask Waldo to set temperature to 75 degrees" response: "I've disconnected your account..." (or something to that effect) I probably did something wrong setting up the channel. I would love to be able to use this!
10 |5000

Matt Kruse avatar image
Matt Kruse answered
Ah, that's probably echo misunderstanding. You can ask waldo to "rest" your account to disconnect it from IFTTT. It probably thought "set" meant "reset" and triggered the wrong intent. I will try to address that. Maybe "reset" is not the best term for disconnecting. Also, your syntax of "[set termperature] to [75 degrees]" doesn't match the required format. This is where it gets tricky, and feedback like yours will help me make it better. In order to have an "argument" to the event, it needs to take the form "[do something] and [say|post|log] [something]". So your format wouldn't be able to parse the "75 degrees" into the argument. It would think "set temperature to 75 degrees" would be the event name. To work with the existing format, you would need to say something like "set temperature and say 75". Which doesn't make any sense. I need to support more formats, and "set ... to" which seems like something I need to explicitly support. The difficulty is that if someone wants to say "ask waldo to post to twitter" it shouldn't treat "post" as the event and "twitter" as the argument. Oh, the difficulties! :) In a future update, I'd like to allow users to create their own phrase parsing, so you could define "(set temperature) to (#) degrees" and specifically pick which words would be put into which slots.
10 |5000

Matt Kruse avatar image
Matt Kruse answered
Steven - I just pushed out updated code to address the problems you had: 1. I removed the word "reset" from the utterances. Grab the updated utterances from the url for your developer control panel 2. I added support for the format "ask waldo to set temperature to 75". Now you will get "set temperature" as the event and "75" as the value1. 3. You can also use the format "ask waldo to change the temperature and set to 75", which would result in an event of "change the temperature" and a value1 of "75". The documentation at http://EchoTTT.com has also been updated. Thanks for the feedback, this is definitely a change for the better!
10 |5000

Steve A avatar image
Steve A answered
Tried again according to your suggestions: 1. Request: 'Tell Waldo to set temperature and say 75' Response was to repeat my authorization code 2. Request: "Tell waldo to set temperature and post 75" Response was to unlink my IFTTT account One last suggestion. During the initial set up, the app says "You can ask Waldo to repeat your code." It's completely natural at that point for someone to say "repeat my code," and expect to hear it repeated, but the session has ended. Personally, I'd just refer the user to the card you send. It's a bit of information overload to get a web address and a authorization code spoken at you, especially when, on first launch, you're not expecting either. Looks promising, though. Keep me posted...happy to be your tester!
10 |5000

Steve A avatar image
Steve A answered
Hmmm....tried again after update. "Ask Waldo to set the temperature to 75" gives me the repeat your code response. Maybe a problem with my IFTTT setup? Steve
10 |5000

Matt Kruse avatar image
Matt Kruse answered
Okay, thanks for trying it again. I will do some testing tonight with your exact phrasing and see if I can figure out what is wrong. I'll let you know when it's fixed. :)
10 |5000

Matt Kruse avatar image
Matt Kruse answered
Okay Steven, I think I've addressed the problems you pointed out. I've done some testing and it works consistently for me now. Note: I updated the utterances. Instead of multiple intents, now I just have one: requestIntent {do something|request} Also, you can now ask waldo to "enable debug mode" which will provide additional information in the output card about what it heard and how it processed it. Hopefully you can try to update your application definition with the simpler utterances and try again. Hope it works better :)
10 |5000

Steve A avatar image
Steve A answered
Yes! It worked!....at least, the utterance was properly recognized and sent the command to IFTTT. Turns out, the Nest channel requires the temperature to be in integers and Alexa only sends words, so it doesn't work for the Nest channel. I'm happy to try some other channels later. Best, Steve
10 |5000

Robert Salita avatar image
Robert Salita answered
Got it working pretty quickly. 15 minutes later Waldo stopped working. I'm guessing he's down for development. Issues: 1. If Waldo is down, can it say so? Otherwise the user is going to have a confusing and bad experience. 2. I'm confused about the interaction between Waldo and IFTTT. Does Waldo only raise the IFTTT event using the words it hears, or can it do a best (phonetic) match? Does it do a (best) match on recipe title or event name?
10 |5000