question

Matt Kruse avatar image
Matt Kruse asked

alexa-app and alexa-app-server : Build Echo apps with Node.js!

[b]alexa-app / alexa-app-server[/b] [b]Description:[/b] The alexa-app node module will help you write an app for the Amazon Echo using Node.js as the server. It provides convenience wrappers around the JSON request/response, which means you no longer need to worry about constructing the JSON manually. It also checks common error conditions and responds appropriately, so you can focus on your application logic. alexa-app is not a stand-alone server. It's a module to assist in interacting with the Amazon Echo API. The alexa-app-server project is a full server implementation using alexa-app and express. It lets you create multiple apps, all attached to the same server, simply by creating js files for each app. It also includes a built-in debugger for each application endpoint. Just hit the endpoint with a GET request and interact with your app in your browser by manually altering the JSON content and seeing how your app responds. No more mysterious error responses from your Echo device! [b]URL:[/b] alexa-app : https://www.npmjs.com/package/alexa-app alexa-app-server : https://github.com/matt-kruse/alexa-app-server [b]Related Information:[/b] These libraries are open source and free for anyone to use. I welcome contributions, bug reports, or feedback. [b]Contact Info:[/b] github: https://github.com/matt-kruse twitter: @matt_kruse
alexa skills kitcommunity projects
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Greg Laabs avatar image
Greg Laabs answered
I will definitely check this out! All of my Alexa apps have been written in Node, but I've just been working off of the "My Favorite Color" template provided by Amazon. It's got a lot of framework in there that is now duplicated across all four projects so I was going to look in to making it in to a module. Now I might not have to!
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Matt Kruse avatar image
Matt Kruse answered
I plan to release an update in the next few days, with a slightly modified API. After running through some real-world app scenarios, I found places where it was lacking. For example, I couldn't use it with Lambda because it doesn't provide a request and response. I need to do a little more separation and isolation, so the alexa-app module itself can be used in any environment. Look for an update coming soon :)
10 |5000

Greg Laabs avatar image
Greg Laabs answered
Ha! I was about to let you know that I had trouble when trying to figure out how to use this module with Lambda! :) I had decided to hold off on switching my in-dev project to it, so this update will be quite welcome.
10 |5000