question

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta asked

Proof of Concept Apps and Utilities

[b]Proof of Concept Apps and Utilities[/b] Description: This is a grab bag of application ideas I've been playing with. If you think any have commercial potential, talk to me. Otherwise treat it as sample code. There are also a number of utilities that might help with Echo development. URL: https://github.com/jjaquinta/EchoProofOfConcepts Contact Info: Contact me on the forum here, via GitHUB, or at jo@111george.com Features: There is a "Generate BAF" command that will read an XML file of word permutations and output a BAF file that has all possible iterations of those words. There is a BaseServlet that extends SpeechletServlet and adds a few extra features. For example doGet is overridden such that it can return the current Intents file and Utterances file. Makes it handy to work with EchoSim. https://github.com/jjaquinta/EchoProofOfConcepts/blob/master/jo.echo.poc/src/jo/echo/util/BaseServlet.java
alexa skills kitcommunity projects
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

The Stig avatar image
The Stig answered
I think the UPS Tracking app has potential, you would just have to find a way to pass the tracking number to Echo (since reading out the tracking number each time you want an update would kind of defeat the purpose of the app). ninja edit: Just thought of a solution for that. Integrate the app with Slice. It pulls tracking numbers from your emails, then sends you notifications if/when their is an update to the tracking number
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
As currently written, you can dictate tracking numbers to the app, and it will remember them. You can then just ask for an update to what you are tracking. I need to get a physical Echo in my hands to see how well it deals with an 18 slot intent. But it works fine in the simulator. One trick was that since I'm not sure how well Echo deals with vocalizing letter (does it return B or bee?) it supports enunciating letters via Alpha-Bravo-Charlie call signs. Well, actually, it will take any word, and take the first letter of it. I figured that's the must usable for something like this.
10 |5000

The Stig avatar image
The Stig answered
If you want, I'd be happy to QA test it for you.
10 |5000

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
That would be awesome. I only just got the loan of an Echo today. It's sitting on my desk staring at me telling me it can't connect to my wi-fi. But the source code is all there. You can run it for yourself if you like. I'm really unsure how well dictating 18 digit UPS codes are. If you look in the bottom of UPSTrackingLogic.java you can see a main() I used to test. There's a test tracking number in there which is always valid.
10 |5000

Nick Gardner avatar image
Nick Gardner answered
This looks like it will be pretty helpful to others trying to get started, thanks for sharing. -Nick
10 |5000

The Stig avatar image
The Stig answered
I'll copy the code over tomorrow and try it, then post my results.
10 |5000

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
Cool. I just pushed up some changes to BaseServlet. It now puts a wrapper around your Speechlet class, and auto-logs the inputs to it and the outputs from it to a buffer you can view by browsing to the endpoint. I've found it really handy for debugging what's going on.
10 |5000

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
I've added a sample of creating a Java Lambda Function for use with Echo to the EchoProofOfConcept project on GitHub. I've exported the project and posted it as a release here: https://github.com/jjaquinta/EchoProofOfConcepts/releases/tag/1.0.1 There's a readme with a step-by-step guide of what I did to get it to work. The published instructions don't work because of a bug in the AWS plugin for Eclipse. Also, they leave you to do all the parsing of the input and output by hand. My instructions cover the gap, and there's a helper class that uses the same parsing as in the Alexa Skills Tooklit. You can integrate existing speechlets in with no code changes.
10 |5000

justin avatar image
justin answered
Thanks for sharing, jjaquinta -- I'm sure it'd make a great Youtube tutorial video :). I'll try following through your steps soon and share any thoughts!
10 |5000

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
Ha ha. Good idea. I've been bashing out YouTubes of demos. But that's with the webcam. I've got Camtasia on another machine. I'll see if I can do something more screen orientated for this.
10 |5000