question

Anil avatar image
Anil asked

How do you un-publish/delete an app?

I have a few skills that are 'live' and was wondering how to un-publish them?
alexa skills kitsubmission testing certification
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

The Stig avatar image
The Stig answered
I don't believe any apps have been published yet, since the Echo Skill Store isn't live yet. So I don't think there's anything to unpublish. Or do you mean you want to remove the apps from your Echo app?
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
If the question is "how do you remove them from the developer's page", apparently the answer is that you can't right now. If you want to make them unavailable to your Echo, there's a toggle on the "Test" page that lets you switch it to "disable". I think you can also disconnect them from the "settings" page in the companion app.
10 |5000

Anil avatar image
Anil answered
The main reason I'm asking is that one of my apps has gone through certification and now has a 'live' status. I realize it's not really live, but if I choose to break the endpoint and the app really does go live one day, then user's would get a crappy experience (app doesn't work at all). I switch to AWS to get around and SSL issue, but now realize that I'm going to pay ~$500 a year to host a silly little app (that I wanted to distribute freely). So, until I figure out how to either setup AWS correctly to manage my costs, or work around the SSL issue with my other hosting service it seems like the prudent thing to do is to make sure the app does not go live. The question is also out of curiosity. I wonder how the Alexa team envisions this working. I assume people who installed the app will get a friendly message when they try to open it, saying it's no longer available? Anil
10 |5000

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
You can migrate it to Lambda if you implemented in Java or Javascript. I wrote up some steps for Java that let you do it with zero code modification.
10 |5000

Matt Kruse avatar image
Matt Kruse answered
Lambda still costs real money, though. Since there is currently no way to monetize skills, and the infrastructure requirements almost guarantee there will be cost involved in hosting a skill, that's a tough sell. Hosting through AWS seemed to expensive for me. I'm building my test infrastructure through Google Cloud, using the Bitnami MEAN stack. I'm finding it to be easier than AWS.
10 |5000

Greg Laabs avatar image
Greg Laabs answered
Not sure where you guys are getting your Lambda pricing. AWS Lambda is completely free for the first 1 million requests [i]per month[/i], and then $0.20 per 1 million requests thereafter. There are some GB-seconds limitations on top of that as well, but they are quite generous. Most Lambda apps should finish executing well under 1 second anyway. http://aws.amazon.com/lambda/pricing/
10 |5000

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
It's not like you can really monetize smartphone apps either. At least for 99% of them. I've got 30 apps on Google Play and have made enough money to buy a cup of coffee. (As long as I don't go to Starbucks.) I think Alexa is going to be the same. You're not going to make your money from raw sales of a skill. It's going to be tie-in to a product, or cross promotion of something else. If you consider the Amazon catalog and music front ends as in-app purchases, that's the only way Amazon is making money on it. So the pennies that AWS and Lambda cost at low volume, the biggest bottom line in your budget is going to be your time.
10 |5000

The Stig avatar image
The Stig answered
I dunno, Greg's Plex Media Server integration could end up making bank. But you're absolutely right - biggest thing is your/our time
10 |5000

Nick Gardner avatar image
Nick Gardner answered
Hi, A few questions to answer here. * For removing Alexa Skills, there is no way to delete them from the developer portal. If you do not want to have them on your Echo anymore, you can disable the testing toggle on the app page. * Once Alexa apps are published, please contact us ( https://developer.amazon.com/public/support/contact/contact-us) if you are having an issue or would like to remove your app * Lambda is indeed free for the first million requests per month. In addition, this is separate from the normal AWS Free Tier, so if you have run out of free tier usage you still qualify. Thanks, Nick
10 |5000

chris lies avatar image
chris lies answered
Will there ever be an option to remove a skill from the developer portal. My OCD says mine list could get messy real quick
10 |5000