question

Steve A avatar image
Steve A asked

Ads on Echo Cards

Can I place advertisements on the card sent to the Echo App?
alexa skills kitsubmission testing certification
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
No reason you can't. But they are plain text. No links. No graphics. Ads pay extremely poorly already. I can't see them paying anything with no rich content.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

The Stig avatar image
The Stig answered
Currently they're just text. In theory we'll eventually get HTML (or for better control Amazon might just give us markdown)
10 |5000

Steve A avatar image
Steve A answered
Thank for the replies. My question was definitely more about policy more than advisability. Just wondering if there was any restriction against including the web address of my favorite charity, for example. Or any other sort of commercial or non-profit enterprise. Looks like there isn't.... Thanks!
10 |5000

The Stig avatar image
The Stig answered
Currently there isn't anything that says you [i]can't[/i] do that.
10 |5000

Matt Kruse avatar image
Matt Kruse answered
Personally, I would consider it spam and not use any app that puts ads in cards. It would just be annoying clutter. And what would the response rate be? I suspect 0.00%.
10 |5000

Steve A avatar image
Steve A answered
I'm with you 100%! In fact, I'd hope that Amazon would disallow it. Just curious about the policy!
10 |5000

April L. Hamilton avatar image
April L. Hamilton answered
Based on my experience as an Android app dev, I have to agree w/ Matt & Steven here. It's downright shocking how virulently opposed to advertising end users can be, even in apps that are totally free. Many an Amazon Free App of the Day has been pilloried in the reviews on account of ads, in-app purchase availability or totally harmless and non-invasive analytics present in the app. The majority of users seem to think any ad = spam, even when it's just that the app splash screen includes a tiny, unobtrusive link to a page where the same dev's other apps are listed---a page the user can completely ignore by NOT clicking the link. Too many users also mistakenly think any kind of analytics = spyware, so tread lightly on that one too, especially since the paranoid types are already out in force to label the Echo an NSA spying device. ='/
10 |5000