question

M. Christianson avatar image
M. Christianson asked

Trouble with Dates (and, thus, certification)

Hello, I've tried getting my Skill certified a couple times but have been having trouble doing so due to Date handling. Here's an example where Amazon's doing something unexpected with a Date, preventing certification. Slot type: AMAZON.DATE Slot request: "october first" Converted value: 2016-10-01 Clearly this isn't what anyone would expect to happen and Amazon agrees. Unfortunately, they think it's my Skill causing the problem, not their system. Thoughts and advice would be appreciated, though I'm not particularly interested in making my own Custom Slot. Yet.
alexa skills kitsubmission testing certification
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
What they are doing seems quite sensible. They want to convert what someone says to a date. In fact, I'm kind of impressed it's that sophisticated. You haven't made clear what your skill is looking for and why it is different from what they give. Can you give a few example conversations showing how you want someone to interact with your skill?
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Michael E. Strupp avatar image
Michael E. Strupp answered
I agree with Jo - imagine that you wanted to put onto your calendar, "Johnny's party is October 1st" - it would be weird to have to specify the year in such a casual context. Although I don't know the context in which the date is coming up, if all you want is the month and day, I would just parse those out.
10 |5000

M. Christianson avatar image
M. Christianson answered
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
10 |5000