question

Michael E. Strupp avatar image
Michael E. Strupp asked

Adjusting code before skill goes live?

I have a skill that has been certified but has not yet gone "live" for other users. In the email I received from Amazon telling me this, they included a few helpful suggestions on how to remedy a couple of shortcomings of the program. Fixing these overcomings is not required for certification but "may improve the overall experience" of the skill. If I make the suggested changes to the "development" version of the skill, do I have to resubmit the program for certification? Does this set back the release of my skill?
alexa skills kitsubmission testing certification
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
You do have to submit revs for certification. If your rev certifies before your skill goes live, they will go live with your latest one. Now, the question of when Amazon chooses to make your skill live to the public... no one knows. Amazon are utterly opaque about how they choose. I've seen some people certify and go live two days later. Others (myself included) have a skill certified for up to two months, and it still hasn't gone live. Personally, I think they tape the name of all certified skills to the back of cockroaches, let them loose in the bottom of a wastepaper basket in the office, and have races. The winners are the skills that get published. That would explain some of their... interesting... choices.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Ross@Amazon avatar image
Ross@Amazon answered
Suggestions are not required for certification so the version of skill that the developer submitted is the one that will go live. The release date will not be affected by these suggestions. A developer version of the skill should have been created as a clone. The developer can continue to modify the new development skill and resubmit for certification. It will then go to the back of the queue.
10 |5000

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
The one thing to note is that it depends on how your skill is implemented. The only thing locked down is what's in developer.amazon.com. The Web Service or Lambda Function is not locked down. You can change those as much as you want at any point. Really, all you are limited by is changes you might want to make to the interaction model. Of course, this cuts both ways. If you want to work on a new version, but don't want to perturb your old one, you have to be careful and clone your Web Service or Lambda Function.
10 |5000

Bailey avatar image
Bailey answered
So it sounds like if you want to develop against a skill that is live you should maintain two lambda functions (or web services)? Basically creating separate prod and dev environments.
10 |5000