question

Giovanni Visciano avatar image
Giovanni Visciano asked

Multiple Binaries targeting different Android API level

Currently I have an App with one binary APK targeting all device with a minSdkVersion=14. In the upcoming version I would like to upload two binaries APK targeting different API level, one for minSdkVersion=14 and one with minSdkVersion=21. Is it possible? Message was edited by: Giovanni Visciano
amazon appstore
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Nick Gardner avatar image
Nick Gardner answered
Yes, this should be possible. You should be able to upload multiple binaries and then select which devices you want to target or let the manifest itself do the targeting. You might need to manually select them unless you set the maxsdkversion in the 14 one however, as otherwise both binaries would be compatible with some devices. -Nick
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Giovanni Visciano answered
Nick, I tried but without success. First I upload APK(minSdkVersion=21): non-amazon-android-devices selected according to minSdkVersion. Then upload APK(minSdkVersion=14): here there is a device filtering policy conflict, all the non-amazon-android-devices are filtered out and I can't manually edit the devices list. (the enable button switch for non-amazon-android-devices say "Targeted by another binary in the current version"). I tried also to upload the APKs in the opposite sequence. Giovanni
10 |5000

Nick Gardner answered
So if you upload the binary with the higher required sdk first, you should then get a mix of supported and unsupported devices, and the unsupported devices should have a infobox you can pop up which will say they are not compatible because the minimum sdk version it too high for them. If you then upload a second binary with a lower minsdkversion, do those devices which were previously greyed out still stay that way, and if so, what is the text beside them? Thanks, Nick
10 |5000

Giovanni Visciano answered
1) Upload higher required minsdkversion: Non-Amazon Android devices based on your Android Manifest SUPPORTED=72+ EXCLUDED=0 UNSUPPORTED=137 Yes, the UNSUPPORTED devices are filtered because minsdk version is too high for them 2) Upload second binary with lower minsdkversion: Non-Amazon Android devices based on your Android Manifest SUPPORTED=0 EXCLUDED=0 UNSUPPORTED=209+ Looking at "Edit device support" for them, all is greyed out. At the top, next to " Enable non-Amazon devices", I have a help tooltip: "Unsupported Device - Targeted by another binary in the current version." Thank you Giovanni
10 |5000

Nick Gardner answered
Hi, It looks like that specific configuration is not currently supported. Is there any way you can make a single combined binary that uses runtime switches instead? -Nick
10 |5000