question

ADG avatar image
ADG asked

Echo: Is it possible to have a long running session?

I'm trying to build an app that would have a continuous long running session where the user could pick up where they left off if they haven't explicitly exited the app or tried to execute another apps commands. Ideally you'd be able to wait several minutes and then tell alexa to continue.
alexa skills kitsubmission testing certification
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

The Stig avatar image
The Stig answered
This was asked at the Amazon Developer Convention last Saturday. Short answer is no. The session length is 8 seconds, and there's currently no way to set it to a shorter time. So if Alexa doesn't hear back from a user in that time it closes the session. I'm not sure if Amazon is looking into extending the session length, but alternatively if (or when) Amazon allows users to "save" information from a session - that could work. Depending what you're app does I mean.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Nick Gardner avatar image
Nick Gardner answered
Yep, the answer is currently no. If the user does not provide an answer the Alexa service can understand, it will close the session and the user will need to restart it. However, you can store the session data on your server so that the user can continue their session by starting the app again at some later point in time, but the implementation details of that are up to you. Thanks, Nick
10 |5000

The Stig avatar image
The Stig answered
Not sure if you have the rights, but if I answered OP's question it may be beneficial to mark the post as Answered. That way others with this question could more easily find the answer.
10 |5000