question

Matt S. avatar image
Matt S. asked

Alexa translating the word "as" to "American Samoa"?

I have intents set up to let me verify data being saved into dynamoDB. So that the data will be read back to me. For some reason, the word "as" is being automatically translated into "American Samoa". Which turns the sentence "I have your zip code saved as 12345" to "I have your zip code save American Samoa 12345". At first, I thought it might be because I had a comma after the word, making it think that it was an abbreviation, but I removed that with no change. Has anyone else run across anything like this?
alexa skills kitsubmission testing certification
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
My guess would be that having "zip code" in proximity to "as" is what is triggering that. Try rephrasing so that "zip code" is further away in your sentence. When I get back from vacation I want to write a skill with a paired web site. You can paste into the web site lines of text for the skill to read. The idea is so that you can test all your spoken phrases to find problems like this. I had to pay my seven year old to listen to randomized knock-knock jokes over and over to make sure we got them all. Even she got tired of it after a while. :-)
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Matt S. avatar image
Matt S. answered
Good catch! I tested it by taking out the phrase "zip code", putting a word between "as" and the number, and replacing "as" with some state abbreviations. It definitely looks like any words that appear immediately before a number are checked to see if they're an abbreviation for a location.
10 |5000

Ross@Amazon avatar image
Ross@Amazon answered
The development team has researched this issue and integrated a fix into the latest version of the SDK.
10 |5000