question

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta asked

Do phonemes work?

I did a quick upgrade to try to use phonemes to fix the fact that Alexa pronounces "tweets" as "wheets". However it is still pronouncing it as "wheets". I used this site: http://lingorado.com/ipa/ to convert "tweets" to IP, which it says is "twits". The JSON blob below is how the text is returned, according to the simulator. [code] { "version": "1.0", "response": { "outputSpeech": { "type": "SSML", "text": " Today's tweets , ranked by candidate. First place Donald Trump at 39%. Second place Bernie Sanders at 22%. Third place Hillary Clinton at 11%. " }, "reprompt": { "outputSpeech": { "type": "PlainText", "text": "Narrow down your poll by saying the name of a party, candidate, state, gender or sentiment." } }, "shouldEndSession": false }, "sessionAttributes": {} } [/code]
alexa skills kitsubmission testing certification
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Nick Gardner avatar image
Nick Gardner answered
I'm by no means an expert on the IPA, but it seems like the actual text should be "twēts". Can you try that and see how it works? I've tried multiple examples of phonemes and I got the expected pronunciation. Thanks, Nick
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
I've tried all of these, and there really isn't much difference: Today's tweets, ranked by candidate. Today's tweets, ranked by candidate. Today's tweets, ranked by candidate. Today's tweets, ranked by candidate.
10 |5000

KJ avatar image
KJ answered
I seem to be having similar trouble with the TEXT SSML tags, using Java... As your JSON blob shows, the escaped character and double quote \" both appear in the string returned to the echo, causing it to say an error message instead of the desired s-p-e-l-l-e-d out word...
10 |5000