question

Galactoise avatar image
Galactoise asked

Using non-English invocation names for skills

I have a couple skills whose invocation words are portmanteaus of two English words, and there are certain cases that Alexa seems to have a really terrible time with. When I'm calling out an utterance telling it to perform some action - i.e. "Alexa, ask (skillname) to do X" - things work pretty well, it picks up the portmanteau perfectly (at least it seems that way in the card output) and invokes my skill. When using "question" words, though, things are less clear. A question like "Alexa, ask (skillname) who built you" rarely triggers my skill. Instead, it will tear the portmanteau apart, pick two words that kind of sound like the portmanteau, and then do a bing search for that phrase (and find nothing useful). Has anyone run into issues like this before? Obviously it's using context to decide whether to use built-in skills or invoke a third party skill, and the question words pull pretty heavily in favor of built-in skills (specifically search). I'm just not sure what we can do to have reasonable set of utterances that use question words, without having to change skill name.
alexa skills kitsubmission testing certification
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
Well, my skill name is "Starlanes", but the invocation phrase is "Star lanes". That may be what's behind the covers of the portmanteau skills you see.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.