question

Steve Zatz avatar image
Steve Zatz asked

Experiencing "Error: Failed building the interaction model."

Since last night I have been getting the message above. I know it's been seen before and has been attributed in some cases to issues on the Amazon server side. Is there anything to do at this point since I've made minor tweaks to see if that helped (it didn't) but with no specific error called out, it's not clear what to do. Any help appreciated.
alexa skills kitsubmission testing certification
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
When I got it, I just kept resubmitting, and it eventually took it. (When I didn't have a genuine error in my file.) But if it takes more than three tries, then there is a bigger problem, and it isn't the intermittent error. They do have a chicken-and-egg problem with their submission system when you have a model with a custom slot. You can't enter in your interaction model until you have defined the custom slot. But you can't enter in a custom slot if you have no interaction model. So you can't just cut and paste the whole thing in. (Another argument for having a single file format that includes everything. This has been proposed a few times, and it's something I use in my development environment.) I found I had to paste half of the interaction model in, define the custom slots, and then paste the other half in.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Steve Zatz avatar image
Steve Zatz answered
Thanks much for the reply. It is not intermittent -- for lack of anything else to do, I keep trying and it has failed a dozen times or more in a row without succeeding. It does take several minutes to fail during which hope springs eternal or whatever but it always fails. I have several custom slots -- the problem did first appear I believe when I added another one. I am a little confused as to how you handle the "chicken and the egg" problem -- my interaction model includes the custom slots, but perhaps your point is to save the model with the new custom slots defined but not used by the interaction model -- I tried removing the last added custom slot from the interaction model (but did not remove the custom slot definition) and that didn't work in that it failed as before. If you happen to have any more specific advice, would love to hear it. If I intentionally make an error in the interaction model, it picks that up but continues to fail when I correct the error with the nonspecific "Failed building ..."
10 |5000

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
If it looks like they aren't going to fix it anytime soon, I'd try a step-by-step methodical approach. [code] 1) Work on getting all the non-custom slot intents. Loop: a) Pick an intent. b) Paste in the json definition for that intent. Paste in the utterances for that slot. c) Submit it and make sure it is accepted. 2) Work on the custom slot based intents. Loop: a) Pick a custom slot c) Enter in the data for that custom slot d) Work on the intents based on that custom slot. Loop: i) Pick an intent that depends on that custom slot. ii) Paste in the json definition for that intent. Paste in the utterances for that slot. iii) Submit it and make sure it is accepted. [/code] Either you will find the point where you have an error in your data, or find the point where Amazon have a bug in their business logic. If you have intents that depend on two or more custom slots... well... Make a (3) for those. :-)
10 |5000

justin avatar image
justin answered
Thanks for helping troubleshoot this, jjaquinta! After further investigation, we’ve reached out to Steve with a solution on how to properly circumvent his issue. This was not a widespread problem, so please let us know if any one else appears to be facing similar issues. Thanks, Justin
10 |5000

Steve Zatz avatar image
Steve Zatz answered
Just so people are aware of the issue -- I had some punctuation in some of the values of custom slots that generated the problem -- I understand that the Amazon ASK folks are looking to address the issue but in the meantime removing the punctuation resolved the problem. I really appreciated the fast response from Amazon.
10 |5000