question

Scott C. Daniel avatar image
Scott C. Daniel asked

Unable to connect to the requested application

I have a web service with fresh new certificates from GoDaddy. Browsers respond to the endpoint without any issues and I've hit the endpoint from various servers using wget. It all seems to work fine. However, whenever I tried to test the new skill, Alexa say "I am unable to reach the requested skill". In the Echo app, I get the error Unable to connect to the request application Scott's Test Skill Request identifier: amzn1.echo-api.request.... A connection count not be established to Resource [https://mydomain:9090/alexa], Type [HTTP] I've tried a bunch of different settings for the certificates, but I get the same result for all of them. My certificate is a wildcard that includes that domain that I'm using. Is it possible that the Echo api does not like the port 9090?
alexa skills kitsubmission testing certification
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Greg Crawford avatar image
Greg Crawford answered
I think you need to use the standard port 443.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Scott C. Daniel avatar image
Scott C. Daniel answered
Well, that was the problem. There seems to be no valid reason for a test server to require port 443, but that's the case. Also, wildcard certificates should work for certified skills. Basically, after spending $400 for a wildcard certificate, I now have to go out and buy ANOTHER dedicated cert to get my skill certified. I can't see how that makes Alexa any more secure, but perhaps someone can enlighten me.
10 |5000

James B Rush avatar image
James B Rush answered
On the topic of wildcard certificates: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Transport_Layer_Protection_Cheat_Sheet#Rule_-_Do_Not_Use_Wildcard_Certificates I work in an FI and have had an issue with vendors using them and it not passing our security requirements.
10 |5000