Please fix: Account Linking Broken on Published Skills
I got some emails from users saying that they could not enable my skill. Sure enough, account linking on two skills doesn't seem to be working, though I haven't changed anything on my end. Clicking 'enable' skill produces a message that says: "An error occurred while attempting to link with the skill. Please try again later." Oddly, the skills is actually enabled! The "enable" button changes to "disable", and the user can access the skill. Account linking cards supplied by the skill work fine, even after the error message. Since there's logic in the skill to go back and change the information that was supposed to supplied during account linking (via account linking cards) the skill is actually totally usable (but the user wouldn't know it, given the error message.) I check another devs skill that uses linking, and he gets the same error. Given that the skill works just fine, account linking cards still work, etc., I suspect this is a problem on Amazon's end.
Just to confirm, this is affecting all skills with account linking. I've verified that's it's happening with other users as well. So, the skills seem to be borked, along with skill metrics. (And, tangentially, IFTTT integration as well.)
Account Linking has started working for me again just minutes ago. I'll carry on testing as I work on my own skill development but if you're working on the assumption that it's been all-good, it hasn't and probably needs checking :)