question

rwcmodel avatar image
rwcmodel asked

No response in a test, no helpful information for debugging

I just set up a staging server for running tests, and I switched one of my echo's over to it. When I try to run a test I get "The remote endpoint could not be called, or the response it returned was invalid." back, but there is no log of Amazon trying to connect to my server, and when I copy the request into Postman it works perfectly! It would be nice to know what the exact failure was: 404, hostname not found, invalid certificate, etc.
alexa skills kitsubmission testing certification
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
It would be helpful, but they don't do that. It's often annoying. However, it's only a problem until you solve basic connectivity. Once you solve that, most of your debugging is involved in other areas. So it's more a hump to get over rather than a road block. I'm a little confused when you say: >I switched one of my echo's over to it. How do you switch an echo to use a specific server for your skill? It's the settings on your skill that determine which server is called. Anyway, things to try: 1) The companion app can sometimes give more information about an error that has happened. Check what it brings up rather than just what the echo says. 2) You can invoke your skill from the Test tab when you register it. This can help distinguish between Alexa being unable to reach your server at all, and your server returning invalid information. 3) Create a Lambda proxy that calls your skill. (Search the forum for your choice of Java or Javascript code to do this.) Point your skill at the Lambda function, and the Lambda function at your server. Instrument the Lambda function. You can instrument the Lambda function to give more information on why it couldn't connect. 4) Turn on logging on your server (sounds like you've done this) 5) Instrument your skill with it's own logging (sounds like you aren't there yet)
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.