question

Steve A avatar image
Steve A asked

Simulator Bug? Or a brain bug?

So, here's two json responses, the first from the Echo, the second from the simulator. They came (as you can tell from the time stamp) just seconds apart. The thing to notice is that though the time stamps are within a few seconds of each other, the Date slots at the end of the JSON are a day apart. The slot type was the same, "DATE." They both had the same input, "today." So, is this a bug in the simulator? If it's expected behavior, could someone explain to me why a DATE slot type with the input "today" generates a different output in the simulator than the same input in the Echo? I'm guessing this has something to do with the fact that the Echo indexes "today" to the time zone of the echo, but the simulator to GMT. If so, I'd say it's a bug...but just looking for clarification. Response 1: { "version": "1.0", "session": { "new": false, "sessionId": "amzn1.echo-api.session.a9c4b75c-4cad-4e2e-a242-f20d9424d125", "application": { "applicationId": "amzn1.echo-sdk-ams.app.e43b96d5-e13b-40ac-9ee2-0c2c94813e40" }, "attributes": { "date": null, "time": null, "title": null }, "user": { "userId": "amzn1.echo-sdk-account.AHQTYZOZVXUINN2YN6R5J2JZQ5M4IT5Exxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx", "accessToken": "OejOEDwg8Zxxxxxxxxxx" } }, "request": { "type": "IntentRequest", "requestId": "amzn1.echo-api.request.917b6a24-935d-4195-80ce-99a543d87d8d", "timestamp": "2016-02-22T04:53:03Z", "intent": { "name": "AddEvent", "slots": { "TimeModifier": { "name": "TimeModifier", "value": "p.m." }, "AllDay": { "name": "AllDay" }, "EndTime": { "name": "EndTime" }, "StartTime": { "name": "StartTime", "value": "ten" }, "Title": { "name": "Title", "value": "by jam" }, "Duration": { "name": "Duration" }, "EndDate": { "name": "EndDate" }, "Date": { "name": "Date", "value": "2016-02-21" } } } } } Response 2: { "version": "1.0", "session": { "new": true, "sessionId": "SessionId.9374ed3d-5f86-42a9-ac34-xxxxxxxxxxxxx", "application": { "applicationId": "amzn1.echo-sdk-ams.app.e43b96d5-e13b-40ac-9ee2-0c2c94813e40" }, "attributes": null, "user": { "userId": "amzn1.echo-sdk-account.AHQTYZOZVXUINN2YN6R5J2JZQ5M4IT5EWLxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx", "accessToken": "OejOEDxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" } }, "request": { "type": "IntentRequest", "requestId": "EdwRequestId.e674f980-3ccd-41f3-b857-2be869e00270", "timestamp": "2016-02-22T04:53:35Z", "intent": { "name": "AddEvent", "slots": { "TimeModifier": { "name": "TimeModifier", "value": "p.m." }, "AllDay": { "name": "AllDay" }, "EndTime": { "name": "EndTime" }, "StartTime": { "name": "StartTime", "value": "ten" }, "Title": { "name": "Title", "value": "buy jam" }, "Duration": { "name": "Duration" }, "EndDate": { "name": "EndDate" }, "Date": { "name": "Date", "value": "2016-02-22" } } } } }
alexa skills kitsubmission testing certification
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Steve A avatar image
Steve A answered
Anyone from Amazon look into this, or tell me if I'm thinking about it wrong? Thanks Steve
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Jamie Grossman avatar image
Jamie Grossman answered
Hey! Thanks for posting. I believe you were correct in your initial assumption. When you're testing using the echo simulator, we are forcing GMT on the date slots without using the actual user's location. On the other hand, testing with a physical Echo device is taking into consideration the actual user's location; this should explain the difference in date. Keep this in mind for the time being during your testing, but in the mean time, let me get back to the team and see if this is actually expected behaviour. Regardless of whether this is intended or not, it would be great if we had this info documented. Thanks for bringing it up! . Regards, Jamie
10 |5000

Steve A avatar image
Steve A answered
Thanks! Steve
10 |5000

Jamie Grossman avatar image
Jamie Grossman answered
Hey! Apologies for the delay. As discussed, the Echo behaves differently from the simulator in the dev portal since the Echo will pass in the user locale (timezone), but the simulator doesn't have access to this sort of information. I've confirmed with the team and it looks like this is actually expected behavior; we are passing GMT to the simulator and there are currently no plans to change this. Hope this helps! Jamie
10 |5000