question

James Chivers avatar image
James Chivers asked

all possible acronym letter compositions in Slot values not learnt

This might be intended behaviour, but I'd like to confirm either way. It appears that when using acronyms in Slots values, Alexa will not be open to accepting differing acronym letter compositions not explicitly listed. This results in needing to specify every possible acronym in the Slot that could be spoken - and for my application - there could be up to 100k acronyms (composed of one, two, three or four letters). I am currently testing a list of utterances with over 4k lines, composed like this: IntentName some phrase here {A. B. C. D. |SlotName} IntentName some phrase here {R. S. |SlotName} IntentName some phrase here {T. |SlotName} IntentName some phrase here {X. Y. Z. |SlotName} If I speak an acronym for SlotName that is not explicitly listed in the utterances, Alexa will best-match to an existing utterance. For example, I might say: "some phrase here F G H" ...but if I do not have: IntentName some phrase here {F. G. H. |SlotName} ...listed in my utterances, Alexa will return a best-match, and thus incorrect SlotName value instead. If this is expected behaviour, then can you raise the limit of the utterances from 200k characters to 500k characters? If not, can you suggest a work-around please? :)
alexa skills kit
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

JBachand avatar image
JBachand answered
These slots really need to be wildcards so your endpoint can handle whatever it gets in that field, hopefully this is added soon by amazon...
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Anil avatar image
Anil answered
James, I'm sure you've tried it, isn't it possible to have a slot for each letter? IntentName some phrase here {A |FirstLetter} IntentName some phrase here {B |FirstLetter} IntentName some phrase here {C |FirstLetter} IntentName some phrase here {A |FirstLetter} {A |SecondLetter} IntentName some phrase here {A |FirstLetter} {A |SecondLetter} {A |ThirdLetter} If you expand each slot only once to include the 26 letters, you'd have just over a hundred intents (assuming a maximum of four letters in the acronym). As I said, I'm sure you've tried it... now I'm curious to know why it doesn't work ;) Cheers,
10 |5000

James Chivers avatar image
James Chivers answered
JBachand - wildcard slots would indeed be useful :) Anil - thanks for the suggestion; I believe I tried it (will double-check though!). Amazon engineers worked with me last weekend and suggested: IntentName some phrase here {a. |SlotName} IntentName some phrase here {b. |SlotName} … IntentName some phrase here {z. |SlotName} IntentName some phrase here {a. |SlotName} {a. |SlotName} IntentName some phrase here {b. |SlotName} {b. |SlotName} … IntentName some phrase here {z. |SlotName} {z. |SlotName} IntentName some phrase here {a. |SlotName} {a. |SlotName} {a. |SlotName} IntentName some phrase here {b. |SlotName} {b. |SlotName} {b. |SlotName} … IntentName some phrase here {z. |SlotName} {z. |SlotName} {z. |SlotName} IntentName some phrase here {a. |SlotName} {a. |SlotName} {a. |SlotName} {a. |SlotName} IntentName some phrase here {b. |SlotName} {b. |SlotName} {b. |SlotName} {b. |SlotName} … IntentName some phrase here {z. |SlotName} {z. |SlotName} {z. |SlotName} {z. |SlotName} Alexa will combine the individual spoken SlotName values into a single SlotName passed back to my application. However, after testing, it was apparent that one still needs to provide every single possible value combination, so that's what I went with in the end. I understand that Amazon engineers are going to look at addressing my particular use case shortly. Message was edited by: James Chivers
10 |5000