question

James Chivers avatar image
James Chivers asked

Slots of LITERAL Type with abbreviations containing numbers

This is probably going to impact 0.001% of you :) Within the past two weeks, it seems an update to how Alexa processes Slot values of LITERAL Type has changed and now will not accept abbreviations that contain numbers. To be clear - I expect Amazon's response to be "working as intended" :) and it makes sense that LITERAL Types should not accept numbers - it's just that I don't know a good workaround that's not going to cause me much hackery in processing the inbound JSON values in my app. For example - I have an Intent with a single Slot that expects values of type LITERAL. I want to define abbreviations in that Slot value which might contain numbers. The following sample Utterance was fine ~2 weeks ago: FooIntent hello alexa {A. 1. |BarSlot} ...but the Interaction Model page in the developer portal today chokes with: "Error: There was a problem with your request: Invalid token {A. 1. |BarSlot} in sample, "FooIntent hello alexa {A. 1. |BarSlot}". Each sample must consist only of alphabets, white-spaces and valid punctuation marks. Valid punctuation marks are periods for abbreviations, possesive apostrophes and hyphens." Like I said, it's me doing it wrong - but the only way I can see around this is to define Utterances like: FooIntent hello alexa {A. ONE. |BarSlot} ...and have my app backend analyse each abbreviated 'character' looking for ONE, TWO, THREE...TEN - unless there's a workaround in the Intents/Utterance definition I can apply? TIA, James
alexa skills kitvoice-user interface
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Fawn@Amazon avatar image
Fawn@Amazon answered
Hi James, As you suspected, this is working as intended. :) The speech recognition system does not recognize numerals, so your best bet for getting a good match is to write the sample as {a. one|BarSlot}. -Fawn
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

James Chivers avatar image
James Chivers answered
Thanks for confirming Fawn; most appreciated!
10 |5000