question

some-amazonian-user avatar image
some-amazonian-user asked

Incorret intent being invoked

I'm having an issue where Echo is invoking the wrong intent when it hears an utterance that is not defined in the sample utterances. For example, this is one of the utterances that I have defined: RegistrationIntent register my echo I only want this intent to be invoked when the user says EXACTLY "register my echo". However, when i'm testing using the simulator or with Echo itself, saying something random such as "hello there" will also map to this intent. Similarly, I have another utternace: ResponseRepeatIntent repeat which i want to get called when the user says EXACTLY "repeat". However, even when I say, for example, "hello", Echo will map to this intent. I want the intent name to be empty thus allowing me to respond with a generic unknown intent response. Any help is appreciated!!!
alexa skills kitvoice-user interface
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
The plus side of having a restrictive grammar is that recognition is much improved. When the user says anything even close to something that is valid, it can pretty well work out what they meant. The downside is what you are experiencing. That when the user says something that isn't in the grammar, it arbitrarily gets mapped to whatever happens to have the highest confidence value, no matter how small. One of my favorite exercises while reviewing Alexa skills is to randomly say "fishwife" and see what it does. Worked fine until Matt's Guess-the-Number game decided my name was "fishwife"!
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.