question

Steve A avatar image
Steve A asked

Custom Slots messing my values

I love the new Custom Slot Types (though I haven't had a chance to see how they work in practice) However, I tried creating a new Custom Slot. For the values I listed: one | two | three....etc But they are returned in the JSON as 1 | 2 | 3 and so on. So, it breaks the skill, since the skill is looking for words, not numerals. Is there some way to fix this, or do I have have to change the program?
alexa skills kitvoice-user interface
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
Seriously? Jeez. Not the most friendly implementation. I already read my interaction model into the program at runtime. Looks like I'm going to have to read this and re-map them. I'll look at it tomorrow.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

d3mon187 avatar image
d3mon187 answered
Same here. I like the new format, but custom literal slots are messing with my results. Before I could spell out a name like "d. o. u. g. h. pizza", which I could then put together and form "Dough Pizza". Now, Alexa hears "d. o. u. g. h. pizza", but sends my program "Do Ugh Pizza". Matching names is hard enough without being able to spell them. Not to mention, you can imagine what it's sending for "a. s. s. u. r. e. vet"... Thanks.
10 |5000

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
I converted Starlanes today, and I didn't see this. Actually, all I did was change the interaction model. For "futatsu" I got "futatsu" not "one" or anything. I didn't have to change a line of code. Not only that, the recognition is about 400% better. The two main trouble functions (pick up X# Yl, drop off X#, Yl) work almost flawlessly. The playability of the game has gone up several notches. So I'm really liking this feature. (Not so much phonemes, but I'll rant about that in another thread!)
10 |5000

Steve A avatar image
Steve A answered
Well, I can confirm that a custom slot with values one two three .... returns values 1 2 3 in the JSON. I just changed the code to handle this. But this does seem to be a poor design decision.
10 |5000

memo@amazon avatar image
memo@amazon answered
Hi, The expected behavior is for the platform to convert numeric words into digits, both when using slots of the AMAZON.NUMBER type as well as with Custom Slots. This will also be the case for phrases like "two beers" were the word "two" will be replaced by the digit 2.
10 |5000

Steve A avatar image
Steve A answered
Thanks for the reply. I was figuring that this was the behavior for NUMBER/AMAZON.NUMBER. But given that Custom Slot values are supposed to be, well, custom (that is, I indicate what goes in them), I was surprised. I also noticed that a custom slot values capitalize words. So values of spanish | english, etc are returned as Spanish | English.
10 |5000

memo@amazon avatar image
memo@amazon answered
More good news for you Steven. With our latest release we've also fixed your previously reported issue, and no both "d. o. u. g. h. pizza" and "a. s. s. u. r. e. vet" should behave as expected.
10 |5000

d3mon187 avatar image
d3mon187 answered
Thanks, Dough and Assure Vet now work great with the custom slot values. Now I just need to be able to access the user's zipcode, and then I can submit my app for review.
10 |5000