question

MisterDan avatar image
MisterDan asked

Alexa dropping the first word suddenly

As of this morning, Alexa loses the first word when an "out of band" phrase is received!! For example: {We like fish|command} Prior to this morning, if I said 'We like dogs', the COMMAND SLOT would receive 'we like dogs'. But, as of today, the COMMAND SLOT is receiving 'like dogs' (the first word "we" is not in the slot). This is true for all non-sample utterances... the first word is missing. Help!!
alexa skills kitvoice-user interface
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Steve A avatar image
Steve A answered
Does it happen on both "one-shot" and "two-shot" phrasing? That is, does it happen when you say "Alexa, tell my skill that we like dogs" as well as when you say 1) "Alexa, launch my skill." 2) "We like dogs." I've noticed, I think, that "one-shot" phrasing drops words more than two shot phrasing. Steve
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

MisterDan avatar image
MisterDan answered
Hello, The dropping of the first word happens in ALL CASES where what is said is different than the sample utterance. Oh, we have three developers with the identical code set. All three of us were fine last week -- no dropping of the first word. But, now two of us get the "dropping the first word" problem. No code changes on our part. The third developer gets all of the words still. So, we suspect that the BUG is rolling out from Amazon. ===
10 |5000

James Chivers avatar image
James Chivers answered
I was just composing a note to the ASK team about this very thing after they bounced a skill in certification yesterday because it wasn't recognizing certain phrases. Glad I checked the forum :) After much time testing, I concluded: - slot values comprised with multiple words are recognized correctly - only if the specific entries are listed in the utterance data - slot values with single words are recognized correctly - again, only if explicitly listed in the utterance data - the first word in bogus (i.e. not matched to an specific utterance entry) slot values provided to the skill are omitted - empty Slot values passed to the backend - my live skill (BART Times) is however correctly receiving unmatched / non-specified complete phrases with all words - so I'm assuming this is just impacting dev / unpublished skills I'll send my note to the ASK team and will report back herein.
10 |5000

MisterDan avatar image
MisterDan answered
Hello, " my live skill (BART Times) is however correctly receiving unmatched / non-specified complete phrases with all words - so I'm assuming this is just impacting dev / unpublished skills" This was true for us last week.. and is still true for us for ONE of our developers... so you might find new results in a day or two.. as we did. Thank you for contacting the ASK team.
10 |5000

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
@James: it would be the first the time Cert Team asked someone to fix a bug that was in Alexa, not their skill. They told me once how great and innovative I was to add the reprompt feature but to reduce the delay between the prompt and the reprompt. >_<
10 |5000

James Chivers answered
As of 0800PDT, Amazon have confirmed that they are to investigate this issue; I'll update as I hear more. @Jo heh, I feel like I burnt a few hours going mad trying to work out what had changed in my skill. I'm happy to help them fix Alexa bugs if they give me access :) Message was edited by: James Chivers
10 |5000

memo@amazon avatar image
memo@amazon answered
Thanks for the heads up James. We are still looking into this, sorry for the inconvenience.
10 |5000

James Chivers answered
Thanks Memo - I appreciate your team's engagement on this. Let me + others know when you have addressed the issue so that we can test and report back.
10 |5000

James Chivers answered
I had an update earlier via email from one of the team and was told this thread would get an official response. But as that's not happened, in summary: - this is an ongoing issue; they are working on it - recent changes in the way Alexa handles utterances has resulted in non-specified* Slot input values being handled differently than before - this is more than just a missing word problem, as the behavior of the models in terms of which Intent gets matched (in these scenarios) has changed * as in, where we have not explicitly listed the exact spoken Slot values within the sample utterances I'll update this thread again as soon as I hear anything further.
10 |5000

MisterDan avatar image
MisterDan answered
Hi James, Thank you for the update. Dan E. ==
10 |5000