question

Gary Anderson avatar image
Gary Anderson asked

Seattle Academy currently doing development for Alexa

This is Gary Anderson and I teach math and software development at Seattle Academy, a private high school in Seattle. We have just started our next project which is to make apps for the Amazon Echo for the next two to three weeks. They have many great ideas for projects and will be using either nodejs or php for the projects. I have asked them to register for the Amazon Echo SDK. While we could put the apps in my account, having them use more would increase flexibility. If you could expedite their addition to the program it would help them on the project. They will be pushing their code to github, so it should be a good reference of 25 high school students thoughts on using the Echo for useful or fun applications. --Gary Seattle Academy Math/Software Development ganderson@seattleacademy.org
alexa skills kitdebugging
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Damian Finol avatar image
Damian Finol answered
Hey Gary, welcome. What kind of language will your students be using? Python, Ruby, Java...?
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

JBachand avatar image
JBachand answered
looks like nodejs or php
10 |5000

Matt Kruse avatar image
Matt Kruse answered
Do you have an https server to host them on? I have found that to be the most annoying part. I really wish it would be over straight http, or at least during development. Even better, if Amazon provided a domain like *. echoapps.com with a wildcard ssl cert, and would provide developers with the ability to grab a subdomain, that would be cool.
10 |5000

Damian Finol avatar image
Damian Finol answered
Well they kind of already do. You can just use a self-signed certificate that you can deploy to a beanstalk instace.
10 |5000

Nick Gardner avatar image
Nick Gardner answered
A few things to reply to here. I'm looking into the whitelisting question, and will hopefully have some more answers soon. Until then, another option would be to add them as other users to your account, by adding their email as an additional user on your account. To the second, Elastic Beanstalk is probably the easiest way to get started with Alexa AppKit development, and for non-published apps (as all are right now), a self-signed certificate will work fine, just paste it into the certificate portion of the app submission. Thanks, Nick
10 |5000

Gary Anderson answered
Thanks, Nick. I appreciate your help on this. The kids are coming up with some really interesting and creative ideas and manyy of them are already functioning in the first few days of the project. Having them do it with their own accounts makes more authentic in terms of understanding the complete process and makes it more likely they will continue to working on it after the course is finished. Take care, --Gary
10 |5000

Gary Anderson answered
10 |5000