question

Greg Crawford avatar image
Greg Crawford asked

Lambda! Very Cool.

The newly announced ability to invoke AWS Lambda functions from an Echo App is really awesome. Removes the need for a server, or a domain name, or a SSH cert.... removes worries about scaling, etc. It took me just a few minutes to put together a test and run it. I highly encourage folks give it a try - it is really simple. The only potential downside is that the native code for Lambda functions (at the moment) is javascript. But if you are reasonably familiar with javascript, you are good to go. Here's hoping the Lambda team gets other scripting languages added soon - Python please :)
alexa skills kitdebugging
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Matt Kruse avatar image
Matt Kruse answered
I'm very excited to try this too! Unfortunately, it looks like there is no ability to do persistence, right? You can't have your code hit a db or anything, but I guess you could make remote calls to external sites to persist data. For anyone else wanting to try out the Lambda capability, my alexa-app module in javascript should make it easier to get started: https://www.npmjs.com/package/alexa-app
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Greg Crawford answered
Persistence would not be a problem. You can access a remote database, or use the AWS DynamoDB.
10 |5000

Anil avatar image
Anil answered
I agree, it really simplifies things! It would be helpful to get a high-level vision from Product Management to know where they expect the API to go from here. I started developing on Openshift, only to discover it's not supported due to SSL issues, I then moved to Ruby on Rails on Elastic beanstalk. Now, I think I should consider moving to Lambda, but javascript.... ug. If this no other huge changes are expected, maybe I'll move to Lambda... Anyway, a sweet set of new features - [b]great job Echo team![/b]
10 |5000

Greg Crawford answered
Javascript isn't all so bad and the Node.js community is huge and growing. Still, it would be great if other languages were added. The convenience of Lambda is just mind boggling. Upload some code and 5 seconds later it's running at scale.
10 |5000

Nick Gardner avatar image
Nick Gardner answered
You can actually actually connect to a variety of databases from within Lambda, including DynamoDB. In fact, since Lambda is basically just javascript, you can do almost anything with it that you could do with javascript. To connect to a DynamoDB database, you can use the AWS JavaScript SDK function to make things easy: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSJavaScriptSDK/latest/AWS/DynamoDB.html The SDK also enables additional functionality for connecting to other AWS services. Thanks, Nick
10 |5000