question

Matt Kruse avatar image
Matt Kruse asked

Will Echo Be Renamed To Alexa?

On the App developer portal, references to Echo have been changed to Alexa. If you go to AlexaApps.com, it redirects to Amazon's Echo site. Will the Echo be renamed to Alexa at some point? I'm setting up a domain to host my apps, and if the "Echo" name will be changed to "Alexa", I'd like to use that in my domain name instead.
alexa skills kitdebugging
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

James Chivers avatar image
James Chivers answered
I'm in a similar boat, although I'm not sure that I should register domains with trademarked or copyrighted product terms just in case ;) I'd been keen to know about the name change too - actually renamed all my 'echo' references to 'alexa' in my code this morning. alexareview.com appears to be owned by Amazon too.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Damian Finol avatar image
Damian Finol answered
Well, you can't forget that Alexa is also the name of a web company which is owned by Amazon.
10 |5000

James Chivers avatar image
James Chivers answered
Good point, registered 09-APR-2011, so probably before Echo (Alexa) was a thing :)
10 |5000

JBachand avatar image
JBachand answered
Alexa still is a thing, and a ranking site. I'd probably avoid using trademarked names.
10 |5000

Jon E Watte avatar image
Jon E Watte answered
I have heard Amazon say that "Echo is the device" and "Alexa is the cloud service." Presumably, they intend for other devices to use the same cloud service in the future. Speech-based mobile phone apps for the Fires would be my random guess for the next area.
10 |5000

Bill Kearney avatar image
Bill Kearney answered
This. It's usually not a good idea to incorporate someone else's product name into yours. For a variety of reasons, from both perspectives. For one, the product's name is likely trademarked and there are typically licensing issues involved. Otherwise there's risk of a trademark being lost due to failures to enforce it (more or less). That and who's to say your solution might not be just as well suited for use with other devices? Tying your name to just one device would potentially lead customers to assume it won't work on others. So while it's tempting to hop on the bandwagon by incorporating or otherwise mimicking the trademark of the product, it's better in the long run to avoid it.
10 |5000

Peter@Amazon avatar image
Peter@Amazon answered
> Will the Echo be renamed to Alexa at some point? We've only renamed the cloud service that supports Echo, from the "Echo cloud service" to the "Alexa service".
10 |5000

April L. Hamilton avatar image
April L. Hamilton answered
It's not true that you absolutely cannot use an Amazon-owned product name in your domain, but there are some rules that Amazon's typically pretty quick to point out if you overstep them. For example, are already domains/sites of longstanding for lovemyfire and lovemykindle, neither of which have inspired takedown notices from Amazon. However, I am acquainted with the owner of another site that has the word "kindle" in its domain and site name and know that Amazon placed certain limits on his use of the word, such as placing clear & prominent text to indicate his is not an Amazon site, not including the word "Amazon" in his site or domain name and not choosing any site or domain designation Amazon felt could be misinterpreted to reflect negatively on their product(s). For example (hypothetical): "flamingkindle" for a Fire tablet site. I suppose to be sure you'd have to consult Amazon's PR department.
10 |5000