question

April L. Hamilton avatar image
April L. Hamilton asked

How To Ensure Our App Name / Launch Phrase Not Already In Use?

I've got my AWS Lambda account set up and have the Favorite Colors test app working with my Echo, but since I'm sure many other devs are also using the Favorite Colors test app as a starting point in AWS Lambda it raises a question: what if multiple devs are working on the same type of app, and happen to give it the same name/launch phrase? Is there any kind of process in place on Amazon's end to avoid duplicates? For example, let's say I want to write a Lotto Numbers app with a launch phrase of "launch Lotto Numbers" but six other devs are all working on the same app, with the same name and launch phrase; at what point, if any, can I find out the same app with the same name already exists?
alexa skills kitdebugging
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

The Stig avatar image
The Stig answered
That isn't an issue currently. As apps are linked to your developer account, and only your developer account, and to your echo. So in order to have the issue you're talking about you would have to have multiple apps (with the same launch name) enabled on your account. For example, my friend and I both have the color demo app installed on our echos. We both use "color demo" as the app name. No issues.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

April L. Hamilton avatar image
April L. Hamilton answered
I'm looking ahead, to when the Echo App Store launches and our apps are being released to the whole community of Echo owners.
10 |5000

Anil avatar image
Anil answered
I've been wondering about this too. The spoken app names can't be forced to be unique, there are some phrases that are just to easy to remember and user friendly to allow that. So, my guess is that users won't be able to install an app if they already have one with a matching spoken name. Just a guess though. As a feature suggestion for Amazon, I think the spoken name should be user configurable, with the developers just suggesting a default name. If I make a "horoscope" app and someone wants to call it "my future" where's the problem? Cheers, Anil
10 |5000

The Stig avatar image
The Stig answered
>As a feature suggestion for Amazon, [b]I think the spoken name should be user configurable[/b], with the developers just suggesting a default name. If I make a "horoscope" app and someone wants to call it "my future" where's the problem? That would really be the best way for Amazon to handle it. Apps come with a default Spoken Name, but end users are able to change it if they want to. edit: and apparently the "quote" feature isn't working properly :/
10 |5000

AM avatar image
AM answered
Configurable would be great or at the very least maybe a few built-in phrases to choose from in case Amazon doesn't want people going wild with their names, i.e. you can only call the Echo "Alexa" or "Amazon" at the moment.
10 |5000

The Stig avatar image
The Stig answered
I was actually referring to user's being able to customize the launch word for an app. But yes, have custom wake words would be nice too.
10 |5000

memo@amazon avatar image
memo@amazon answered
Hello, Thanks for the good suggestions everyone. User configurable launch names would indeed be cool, we've passed this feature request over to the correct team. But, as you can surely understand, we can't comment or speculate on future releases.
10 |5000