question

R. Labanca avatar image
R. Labanca asked

skills? What changed?

So poof, apps are now "skills", and the docs all changed, any other changes? I suspect this forum will get busier!
alexa skills kitdebugging
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Matt Kruse avatar image
Matt Kruse answered
Yeah, changed to Skills so they could use the cute ASK acronym. Personally, I think it's awkward. The word "Skill" doesn't map to anything users or developers are familiar with, so it's confusing. But oh well, ASK is cute :)
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

memo@amazon avatar image
memo@amazon answered
Hi, We've also made the forum and all the documentation public today. Tell your friends ! ;) So we definitively expect the forums to be busier.
10 |5000

Matt Kruse avatar image
Matt Kruse answered
One annoyance - all my bookmarks to the SDK documentation pages are now dead. :(
10 |5000

Matt Kruse avatar image
Matt Kruse answered
Also, I see a Node.js library now, for creating Skills in Lambda. That's great, but it would have been nice to know that this was coming. One way to annoy early developers is to build something that stomps all over what they have been working on and makes it obsolete. IMO, my Node.js wrapper around the ASK API is more useful than the provided library. But I'm hesitant to invest too much time into anything if Amazon will just swoop in and stomp on what I've done. Something to keep in mind, Amazon.
10 |5000

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
Yeah, all my web links changed as well. But, on the plus side, I don't have to type my password in a million times after the tiny timeout on the forum.
10 |5000

The Stig avatar image
The Stig answered
Had the same problem.
10 |5000

Greg Laabs avatar image
Greg Laabs answered
Matt: I would say stop being melodramatic. If you can make a better one then please do. The Node.js community would not be what it is if people didn't constantly come forward and make what they feel is a better product! I'm still waiting for your Lambda-compatible Node module. Any idea when you might release that version?
10 |5000

N. Fradkin avatar image
N. Fradkin answered
Can someone please link to the aforementioned node.js library? My search skills are apparently lacking today.
10 |5000

Greg Laabs avatar image
Greg Laabs answered
Download the Node examples from this page: https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/alexa/alexa-skills-kit/docs/using-the-alexa-skills-kit-samples-node And then each of the examples has an "AlexaSkill.js" file that is a Node module. I'd like to publish that module to NPM, but it is unclear to me whether or not the "Program Materials License Agreement" that governs the use of those examples permits that. I'll just have to That's another reason to continue with your work Matt! I'd love a module published in an open license like MIT so I don't have to have any concerns about using it.
10 |5000

Matt Kruse avatar image
Matt Kruse answered
> Matt: I would say stop being melodramatic. Point taken. Not trying to be, just voicing some thoughts :) > I'm still waiting for your Lambda-compatible Node > module. Any idea when you might release that version? Hopefully tomorrow. I have it working, including automated generation of the schema definition and sample utterances. I need to update the documentation and examples, then build a sample app using it to make sure it all works correctly. It should take just a few more hours of work.
10 |5000