There was a problem communicating with the requested application
Hello, We are trying to debug our first skill and get the following verbal response from Alexa: "there was a problem communicating with the requested application" We verified that the target URL was in fact successfully "crawled" by the service, so there is not an issue with it being blocked. In my Echo app, it says: "Unexpected Communication Issue" MySkill Request Identifier: amz1.echo.laksdjg;lksajg;aslkgdjasd;lkgjad;glkjds; (blah blah blah) ... What I am looking for is a more specific error output. Is there a place to better understand what "problem" might mean? We don't show any errors occurring on our end. Thanks!
One step forward, two back. My Echo app provided a Content Length header error. So we added a Content Length header using function strlen to get an accurate count. Now we are back to the Unexpected Communication Issue.
SUCCESS! We found out there was a comment causing the issue. Yes, a comment. // JSON Document This line was in the top of our code and Alexa was not pleased by it. As soon as we deleted it, it started working!
I've found Alexa throws "I'm having trouble accessing your [name] app right now" as an all-purpose error when there's an error of any kind in my code. When I hear [i]that[/i] during a test session, I go back to my script to start looking for missing brackets, braces and semicolons. Sounds like "There was a problem communicating with the requested application" may be a similarly generic error message for miscellaneous code errors.
You can always test with EchoSim. It's easier to get a coherent response from it since it doesn't have to report to the user. You can also set up regression tests which make it a lot less tedious to reproduce problems!