question

tillo-de avatar image
tillo-de asked

Getting Echo device and app outside US for developers

Hi, we have a ton of ideas to implement using the Alexa Skills Kit. We'd love to get started but being outside the US, we can neither order an Amazon Echo nor install the echo app. Is there a way we can get the device and a .apk file for Android through the developer program?
alexa skills kitdebugging
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

The Stig avatar image
The Stig answered
Hmm, Have you tried using the EchoSim code that jjaquinta wrote? I know it doesn't solve your problem, but it could be a temporary solution until you get an official answer from Amazon. https://github.com/jjaquinta/EchoSim
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

tillo-de avatar image
tillo-de answered
Hi The Stig, thank you so much for pointing me to the EchoSim simulator! It looks like a very handy tool for simulating dialogs. What it probably can't do is give a realistic view of the process: user -> echo -> server -> card -> app. That's one of the key processes for us to get started, though, so I still hope for someone from amazon to provide us with the "real stuff".
10 |5000

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
I wrote EchoSim because I didn't have any hardware at first! So go for it. :-) Right now it only supports WebService based skills. If you want to do a Lambda skill, it can't see it. I'm working on it. (Anyone know how to call a Lambda skill externally?)
10 |5000

Jamie Grossman avatar image
Jamie Grossman answered
Hey there, Thanks for the post! In terms of the original question, we are well aware of the demand for devices and kit outside of the US. Unfortunately, theres nothing we can announce right now, but we are working on it. Thanks, Jamie
10 |5000

Razvan Dragomirescu avatar image
Razvan Dragomirescu answered
If I get a unit from the United States (I can have it forwarded to me in Europe by a friend in the US), will it work here (=Romania)? Can I activate it outside of the United States for development purposes? Thank you, Razvan
10 |5000

Jamie Grossman avatar image
Jamie Grossman answered
Hi there, I believe that this is possible (some devices have been known to work in the UK), but this is nothing that Amazon can approve of and as you can imagine, support for it may be difficult as naturally it is not available there yet. Thanks! Jamie
10 |5000