question

Dee T avatar image
Dee T asked

Can an app ask Alexa a question for the user?

As an example instead of asking for the weather in some place with a complicated name all the time, could you write an app where you could use a code name. "Alexa, what is the weather in Dushanbe,Tajikistan?" would turn into "Alexa, tell me quick weather." The quick app would ask Alexa to look up the weather in the fixed variable city Dushanbe,Tajikistan for the user. Can you invoke Alexa to execute a function from an app or can it just recite the text you feed it? I don't want to have to look up the weather myself in the app and send the text, I'd prefer getting the official Alexa weather from a text version of the location. If this isn't possible now, do you think it is something that will eventually be doable? Will IFTTT ever have Alexa as the Then?
alexa skills kitdebugging
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

April L. Hamilton avatar image
April L. Hamilton answered
You can do this via calls to a web service or cloud-based database.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Greg Laabs avatar image
Greg Laabs answered
No, it is not possible for a third party skill to kick off built-in functionality.
10 |5000

Dee T avatar image
Dee T answered
Thanks, you saved me time looking for a way. I wasn't have much luck in my search..
10 |5000

Ross@Amazon avatar image
Ross@Amazon answered
Confirming that third party skills cannot access built in functionality. Regarding IFTTT having Alexa as the Then, we are unable to discuss any future plans.
10 |5000