question

Matt Cashatt avatar image
Matt Cashatt asked

Does a developer have any control over the output of a companion card?

I can see many reasons why a developer might want this, but for now my needs are pretty basic: In addition to writing out Alexa's response, I would like for the user to see their own question just above it. I realize that there is the grey voice-feedback area, but I want something that looks like it belongs in the response above that section. For example: [b]You asked:[/b] What color is the sky? [b]Alexa responded:[/b] Blue. Thanks, MC
alexa skills kitdebugging
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

chris lies avatar image
chris lies answered
I'll admit, I am a nodejs and alexa novice. However, looking through the examples AlexaSkill.js has a tellWithCard response which allows the speechOutput, cardTitle and cardContent to be controlled.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Greg Laabs avatar image
Greg Laabs answered
Yes, part of the response JSON defines what content you want the card to display which can be whatever you want and has nothing to do with the vocal response that Alexa says.
10 |5000

Matt Cashatt avatar image
Matt Cashatt answered
Thanks for the responses. While I understand, that we can insert a simple string as the card content, is there any way to format it? For example, how would I insert a line break or a boldface font as in the example above? How about logging Alexa's understanding of what the user said? Thanks! Matt
10 |5000

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
They only allow plain text now. Obviously, from their built in services, the app can handle rich text. But they just haven't exposed that yet in the ASK. It opens a can-of-worms security wise. So they're probably taking their time with it. As a half-way-house, it would be nice if they supported, say, markdown text. That's much easier to secure.
10 |5000

WhatIsMyRealName avatar image
WhatIsMyRealName answered
+1 .. also looking for this functionality.
10 |5000