question

mm-nickname avatar image
mm-nickname asked

Is there a way to use the bluetooth within your skill?

Hi just wandered if it was possible to access a Bluetooth connected device in your Skill, for example if I had a Fitbit or something would I be able to connect to it and pull out data? If so is there any information about how to access the connected device? I have had a look, but this information seems sparse. Thanks
alexa skills kitdebugging
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Galactoise avatar image
Galactoise answered
The short answer (and I think the one you're actually asking), is "no". The echo itself can't interact with an arbitrary bluetooth device. The long answer is "maybe, depending on the device", but it might take a bit of work. Your skill is running as an arbitrary web service, so in theory your skill can access just about anything on the internet, and account linking could be used to identify exactly which path to go down to get to your specific device. That's as far as Alexa can go, though, and the rest depends on things being available to your webservice. Specifically, one of two things needs to be true: 1. The bluetooth device is also an internet connected device. If this is true, it should be pretty easy to do what you're asking. OR 2. You have some sort of hardware that can act as a bridge, accepting the incoming requests from the internet and broadcasting them as bluetooth. In the case of a fitbit, I'd expect this to be something like your phone, because you'd need the hardware to follow your location. For that, you'd have to write some sort of mobile app that can be daemonized to run constantly on your phone, which can accept push notifications and trigger bluetooth broadcasts without user interaction. That's a fair bit more work. Not sure if that helps at all.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

mm-nickname avatar image
mm-nickname answered
Yeah great that is a massive help thanks!
10 |5000