question

Dean Reedy avatar image
Dean Reedy asked

Eclipse Template?

Looking for an eclipse template for creating the java and lambda project with required files and structure. I did install eclipse and the AWS kit, I also found the Lambda function, but is that all that is needed for Alexa? thanks, Dean
alexa skills kitdebugging
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
I wrote up instructions for doing this in Eclipse here: https://github.com/jjaquinta/EchoProofOfConcepts/tree/master/jo.echo.lambda Details may vary depending on your version of Eclipse (and if Amazon ever fixed the Upload-To-Lambda bug).
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Dean Reedy avatar image
Dean Reedy answered
I appreciate the link, I did purchase your book so reviewing those pages as well. thanks, Dean
10 |5000

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
Yay!
10 |5000

Dean Reedy avatar image
Dean Reedy answered
I have a different version of eclipse and not able to setup per instructions. Note: I am a Eclipse and java rookie. Is their a downloadable project I could use as a template and change it's properties? thanks, Dean
10 |5000

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
I don't think a downloadable project will help you. The lambda stuff isn't exactly turnkey. It's going to be more complicated to write a Lambda based Java skill than to work out the delta between the instructions and what you have. I'm not sure it's a challenge I'd recommend to a rookie. But that's up to you!
10 |5000

Dean Reedy avatar image
Dean Reedy answered
I am a software developer just not java and the eclipse tool. Thus I figured if I could get the file structure right I'll catch up on the coding quickly, I just do not want to struggle with file names and classpath stuff. Dean
10 |5000

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
Well, it shouldn't take you much then if you put a little bit of effort into it. The place that a delta in the Eclipse tool throws people off is in the project setup. But that's just makes it easier to create the ultimate zip file. If you read the commentary there (and in the book, I think) that will explain the expected layout of the zip file. If you are doing a pure vanilla lambda function, with no embedded jars, it is considerably easier. If you are looking to learn, then I suggest you treat it as a learning exercise. Understand each step, rather than just repeat them.
10 |5000