question

emmanuellas avatar image
emmanuellas asked

Alexa for non-english user?

Hello, I would like to know if it's possible to use Alexa in an other language than english?
alexa skills kitdebugging
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
The Alexa Skills Kit only supports English. Even if you use the Phonetic Alphabet feature, it is really only good at English phonemes. I tried to get it to say some foreign phrases phonetically and it was ... terrible. Like an American High School student massacring another language terrible. And, of course, there would be no way to input foreign words. It's really rather tailored to English.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Galactoise avatar image
Galactoise answered
Yeah, Amazon's SSML implementation is abridged, so you have no control over things like inflection. I experimented a bit with giving Alexa an accent, and my attempt was disgracefully bad. And now let us never speak of it again...
10 |5000