question

Allan Folz avatar image
Allan Folz asked

Terms of Use Auditing

Greetings, I suspect this questions is only answerable by Amazon staff, but I think all developers would find it interesting. We recently experienced a situation at the Google Play market where a user purchased our app for a children's library and had installed it on about 30 tablets all under the same account. Non-personal and shared usage is disallowed under Google Play's terms of use, however, Google did not have any internal monitoring in place to automatically catch such suspicious activity. I only noticed it due to our number of device installs being noticeably greater than our number of purchases. Since the Amazon portal does not delineate device install numbers separately from user purchases, we would not have been able to discover this situation on our own if it were to have happened at Amazon's market. As such, I would like to inquire whether Amazon performs any internal tracking or auditing to flag suspicious activities such as a user with many (eg. more than 3 or 4) devices registered to a single account. If so, would you be able to share the nature of the auditing? Thank you.
amazon appstoreshowcase
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Allan Folz avatar image
Allan Folz answered
Any update to this? Searching the user forums I found the following thread related to this very topic. On that thread an Amazon customer service rep told the person asking that yes, an app could be shared among as many devices as they wished. http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/forums/kindleqna/ref=cm_cd_search_res_ti?ie=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1GLDPZMNR1X53&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx2CR84SW7MY7OM#Mx1IKLFA7FVFB92 As a developer I have a problem with a whole classroom of 20-30 children, or for that matter there's nothing stopping an entire school of 100-400 or school system of 2000-5000 users, getting what would essentially be a site license for the cost of one app. Anyone know what the official terms of service are regarding apps purchased through the Amazon app store? I've looked and haven't been able to find any. Thanks.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Venkat@Amazon avatar image
Venkat@Amazon answered
Thank you for your post. We have forwarded your query to the concerned team and will get back to you once we have an update.
10 |5000

Sachin@Amazon avatar image
Sachin@Amazon answered
Hi Allan, Can you please raise a ContactUs ( https://developer.amazon.com/help/contactus.html) for this and one of our support engineer will respond to your query. Thank you.
10 |5000