question

deveventim avatar image
deveventim asked

One app which use Map Api for Kindel and Google Android ?

Hi, we have an App which use the Map API. Now I have two Apk files one for the Kindle (with the Amazon Map API) and one for the Google Store which use the Google Map API. Is it possible to build one App (one APK file) which use the Amazon Map API and the Google Map API and run on both devices ? The problem I see is I have to add this parts into the AndroidManifest.xml file : And have to declare the Activity which use the Map API. Any idea to have one APK package for both world's ? Regards Stephan
amazon maps
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sachin@Amazon avatar image
Sachin@Amazon answered
The Amazon Maps API offers interface parity with the Google Maps API, but uses the package name com.amazon.geo.maps instead of com.google.android.maps. However, some elements in the API do not function identically. You can design your app so that the app gracefully degrades when the Amazon Maps API is unavailable. You can get more information on this at the following link https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/maps/migrating.html#Modifying

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

paulatrbs avatar image
paulatrbs answered
Have a similar issue to the original poster here. We have a well established app widely distributed within the UK that works one all android devices and uses google maps. We want the maps function of our app to work on Kindle devices so we are looking at changing our app to accommodate the interface but we do not want the app to use Amazon maps API when running on a non-Kindle, even if that was possible. We are trying to avoid the need to create a specific app for Kindle because of the maintenance overhead that could give us in the future when changing the app. Is it actually possible to have an app that utilises one map provider or another depending on whether android.os.Build.MANUFACTURER = Amazon? I'm not sure if it's going to be possible to accommodate the two map apis in one app as there are a lot of duplicate objects, but if you have any suggestions as to how it might best be done I would appreciate it.